Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Time for new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new clutch?

How do I know if my clutch is going? As far as I know its the stock one with 95k miles on it, some auto x track days and normal street driving. It operates smoothly but sometimes if i dont match revs when down shifting it will clunk or if i bog it taking off it kinda shudder/vibrates/rattles, but not bad. Does this sound like normal operation? Im looking for an excuse to put in a ls7 clutch but fear bad karma from "if it aint broke dont fix it". What do yall think?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When does it start engaging? Percentage wise, if that makes sense.. If it's getting close to 100% (all the way up), it's on it's way out. But you don't HAVE to change it till it starts slipping. Cruise at 35 mph, jump to 6th, and give it WOT. If the rpm's jump, it's slipping, you should replace it. If not, then technically you can still drive it. I doubt it'll perform like a brand new clutch though..

I vote to drop the ls7 in there anyways. You obviously want to, and you'll love it every time you drive. I went from a 46k ls6 clutch to the ls7, and it's awesome. I've got some new muscles in my left leg now, too. Man muscles. Don't get me wrong though, it's daily drive-able for sure.

Quick Reply: Time for new clutch?