Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission install?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission install?!

Swapped out the clutch, and having a hell of a time getting the transmission back in . Seems like the shaft goes in part way (can no longer spin the driveshaft) and then we cant get it in any further.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Transmission install?!

Did you use a clutch alignment tool (insert type) to make sure the clutch disk is perfectly centered? If not, the pilot bearing might not want to fit in properly when you stab it.

One trick would be to put a floor jack or tranny jack (depending on if ground or on lift) under the front of the engine and jack up on the front of the engine. This will tilt the engine back on its motor mounts, and make it a bit easier to position/stab the tranny.

I put a piece of 2x4 under the crank pulley and jack on that. Just do it until the engine stops tilting back on the mounts and stop.

Tony
Old 07-10-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just stabbed my new T-56 today, went in without any coaxing at all. The trick is definitely with the alignment tool -- spend a few minutes lining up the disc before you tighten down the pressure plate. When its right, the alignment tool should have basically ZERO resistance going in and out. It should be as straight as humanly possible. If you spend the time here, the trans will just slide right on home.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've done mine twice. put it in gear and then when u start to slide the shaft into the clutch/pp u can "wiggle" the tranny back and forth till u get it in. even when u use the alignment tool, it can still be cocked a lil but try ur best. It's a PITA but just keet trying and u'll get it.

Quick Reply: Transmission install?!