Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wtf???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wtf???

awhile back i was changing my oil and when i pulled the plug out of the drain pan i noticed that attached to the little magnet on the tip of the plug there were little think metal pieces that almost looked like the inner parts of a bearing. i am currently doing a clutch swap on my car and when i got to the pilot bearing it was absolutley destryed!!! only a little piece of metal inside the housing. i was wondering if it was possible that when the bearing first came apart if the rollers could have fallen down into the oil pan somehow although i wouldn't know how. if not, i don't know what the little things i saw in my oil pan were back when i was changing oil a long time ago. now saying that, i did notice a bit of rattle at certain times in my car awhile before i decided to do the clutch swap (tranny starting slipping). basically i'm asking is there any way those roller bearing could get into the oil pan from the pilot bearing location? the motor isn't knocking at all, so i don't think anything came apart in the motor at all, and i showed them to my family mechanic of the past forever and he had no clue either. i wish i still had the metal pieces so i could take a pic and post them, but i can only describe them as what looks as close to the rollers inside the pilot bearing...small, long, and skinny......ha ha thats what she said
Old 01-31-2008, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

There is a plug on the back of the crank where the pliot bearing go's. If it was pushed in or gone or ... the pilot bearing bits could have gotten in there. You would also have oil coming out the *** end of the motor tho. That would cause the clutch to slip...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a problem w/ the early rocker arms loosing needle bearings.
They end up in the pan on the drain plug magnet.
There is threads in the LS1/6 internal engine section about this search there.
You need to pull the valve covers & inspect the rocker arms, it is not an uncommon problem.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

thanks, i just assumed it was a tranny/motor question and didn't think to look up about the rocker arms...there is deffinatley no smoke or oil comming from the motor as i could tell when i got the trans out. whats the average cost for a set of rockers and whats a good brand to get?

Quick Reply: Wtf???