Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Simple LS7 Clutch Question

Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Simple LS7 Clutch Question

I am going to be replacing my current clutch in the next couple weeks. 2002 Z28 with 400 rwhp, 4.10s plus a GTO tranny with steeper gears, suspension, beefy driveshaft, and I plan on dumping the clutch with MT slicks at about 6000 RPM.

Will the clutch hold well and last?

EDIT: I have a 12-bolt, as well.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 03-04-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 6000rpm clutch dump is a lot, but the LS7 should hold your power.

It's designed for a 505 hp corvette (pretty much a factory race car) so you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
A 6000rpm clutch dump is a lot, but the LS7 should hold your power.

It's designed for a 505 hp corvette (pretty much a factory race car) so you shouldn't have any problems.
Yes, but...

a) the C6 Z06 is RATED 505, but puts down about 430-450 at the wheels in stock form

b) the C6 Z06 weighs about 400 pounds less than my car and wasn't necessarily designed as a drag strip car.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty much all of the factory LS clutches tend to heat up pretty quickly. It should hold the occasional clutch dump, but i wouldn't plan on hot lapping it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Yes, but...

a) the C6 Z06 is RATED 505, but puts down about 430-450 at the wheels in stock form

b) the C6 Z06 weighs about 400 pounds less than my car and wasn't necessarily designed as a drag strip car.
Yes I know its not 505 rwhp stock.

Yes it is lighter and yes its not really a drag car, but it is meant for road racing. With all the up shifting and down shifting involved in a road race, don't you think that LS7 clutch could take a beating?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Yes I know its not 505 rwhp stock.

Yes it is lighter and yes its not really a drag car, but it is meant for road racing. With all the up shifting and down shifting involved in a road race, don't you think that LS7 clutch could take a beating?
there's a lot less slippage in road racing than there is in a high RPM clutch dump with sticky tires. When you're dumping the clutch all day on a road course the car allready cas momentum going. Getting 3000+ lb's going from a stop is a little different.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transAm-98
there's a lot less slippage in road racing than there is in a high RPM clutch dump with sticky tires. When you're dumping the clutch all day on a road course the car allready cas momentum going. Getting 3000+ lb's going from a stop is a little different.
Exactly, especially 3,500 pounds like my Z. The slicks from a dead stop put a LOT more stress on the clutch when dumped than an up or down shift at high RPM in a lighter car already moving at the appropriate speeds for that RPM.

Anyone have more experience with this? I may end up having to man up to a Textralia if I can't get some good feedback, and that's obviously more than double the price, which I don't really have right now.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt the LS7 clutch will hold up long with the clutch dumps
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I may end up having to man up to a Textralia if I can't get some good feedback, and that's obviously more than double the price, which I don't really have right now.
I was just going to say to get a Textralia so you won't even have to think twice about it.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Unless those 4:10's are on a 9 inch, I don't think it'll hold a 6k clutch dump regardless of the clutch used. Grenaded 10 bolt in future says most of us.

I don't get it. If you can afford

a)$400 driveshaft (PST is the bare minimum for a power DS)
b)a beefed GTO transmission T-56 are NOT cheap (rebuild for power alone is 1K)
c)mods to bring you to 400HP (cam/heads, all bolt ons etc)
d)supporting suspension (torque arm, panhard, lca, lca relocation, shocks, swaybar etc)

How is a $1000 clutch out of range in retrospect to all those other mods, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the rear?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

An LS7 clutch is not going to be happy launching at 6000 RPM on slicks...
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SladeX
Unless those 4:10's are on a 9 inch, I don't think it'll hold a 6k clutch dump regardless of the clutch used. Grenaded 10 bolt in future says most of us.

I don't get it. If you can afford

a)$400 driveshaft (PST is the bare minimum for a power DS)
b)a beefed GTO transmission T-56 are NOT cheap (rebuild for power alone is 1K)
c)mods to bring you to 400HP (cam/heads, all bolt ons etc)
d)supporting suspension (torque arm, panhard, lca, lca relocation, shocks, swaybar etc)

How is a $1000 clutch out of range in retrospect to all those other mods, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the rear?
Whoops, I forgot to mention the 12-bolt rear, so I'm not worried about that.

I've spent all of my money on this car trying to get it beefed up and capable of handling hard launches and hard driving, but now that everything is good to go, I've found that I have clutch issues that I can't seem to get rid of. At this point, it's not disengaging at high RPM even though I've replaced EVERY part of the clutch/tranny assembly, including using an adjustable master cylinder, a regular GM master, two different Spec clutches, two different GM slaves, a new pilot bearing, a new shifter, and a new tranny. All professionally installed and always using the shim.

The only constant with all of the things I've tried is that I have been using Spec clutches the whole time, so I'm scrapping them and trying something different. I'm going to replace the clutch, flywheel, and slave now since the master is brand new (just installed about two weeks ago) and I'm still having the issue. I actually have a new slave installed, as well, but I've heard that some dealers are selling the wrong slave, so I'm hoping that's not the issue, but I'm going to replace it along with the new clutch just in case. Everything was professionally installed, it just doesn't seem to go away and I don't want to destroy my brand new tranny. I'm going with the Textralia.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Simple LS7 Clutch Question