Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problems popping out of reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problems popping out of reverse?

Well I just had the tranny rebuilt by sixspeedinc and when i put it into reverse it just seems like theres nothin there and it grinds and pops out all the time. It only does it when im lettin the clutch out, first thing im gonna do is try and adjust the stop on the pro 5.0 shifter, if that doesnt work i suppose try and bleed the clutch. What do you guys think could be wrong?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

I would definately make sure its going all the way into gear first . You can usually check this by turning the engine off and putting it into reverse . Start the car up and let off the clutch . If it pops out , you have an issue with the trans . If it does not then you have an issue with the clutch .
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will most definitely try that, by the way the trans only has about 2 miles on it. I also know that if it pops out of gear it can be caused by the clutch as I experienced this personally from my last cluth with randomly losing gears and popping out of gears. Thanks for help though im gonna go try this stuff as soon as it warms up enough for me to want to go outside LOL.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea mine pops out of 3rd but i think its cause my 3rd gear is goin out =(
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats not good man but my tranny is brand new freshly rebuilt.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Juggalo is popin out of third gear cause he probably has never put in a steel shift fork. His stock alluminum one is getting ridges in it, which is causing his shift fork to not fully engaging into third. As far as your reverse problem, i think its more than likely your clutch. Why not call amber up and ask her. She helped me out when i rebuilt my own transmission.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what im gonna do tomorrow, its a basically new spec 3 clutch and worked fine prior to the tranny goin shot so beats me.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Teching In

What was initially wrong with your transmission to get it rebuilt?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billybob1142
What was initially wrong with your transmission to get it rebuilt?
2-3-2 shift over rev, shattered 2nd gear and needed new bearings was the main damage amber said and it wasnt really that bad but while she had it i got the 1+ package.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Teching In

When my transmission **** on itself i was going to get that package, but after i opened it up i saw what i needed, and it works perfect now. Sixspeedsinc knows their stuff so im pretty sure its not something with the transmission internals.

Possibly it is the clutch, so try what thesource said.
But if its not the clutch, from what you describe what it happening it is usually either your synchro, which you had replaced so its not that. Possibly your reverse slider assembly is messed up. Or maybe the shift fork isn't allowing the reverse slider to engage fully.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it does sound like a clutch issue. GIve me a call if you need advise on anything. I am a little sickly today that is why I am up so early. If you need me just pm me your number if I am not at the shop.

Amber
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm still having issues and dont know where to go from here. I have bled the clutch and adjusted the bumpstops on the shifter which was part of the problem with shifting into other gears the last 2 weeks. I'm afraid to even put the car into reverse anymore as this tranny is new and was not cheap. When i am releasing the clutch in reverse you can hear the trans just pop then it pops out of reverse gear. Right after that ill push the clutch in and put it back in reverse and now it will lock in just fine. Also I have tried the clutch test on a flat surface and revving to 5500 rpm and it doesnt budge. I'm clueless is this a trans issue or a clutch issue? Also it shifts fine 1-6 even at WOT no loss in pressure.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would virtually guarantee that the tranny is the cause of the problem.. but really... all you need to do it put it in reverse with the car off... start it and let the clutch out.

also.. make sure that the shifter is not getting hung up.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadGTho
i would virtually guarantee that the tranny is the cause of the problem.. but really... all you need to do it put it in reverse with the car off... start it and let the clutch out.

also.. make sure that the shifter is not getting hung up.
I wonder how that could be sixspeedsinc just rebuilt the tranny it only has 100 miles on it?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miller456
I wonder how that could be sixspeedsinc just rebuilt the tranny it only has 100 miles on it?
no idea.

if i take what you're saying, and assume that the shifter is not being interfered with, and you have done the car-off reverse test then that's the only possible conclusion.

try putting it in reverse with the car off... jack it up and jerk the back tires back and forth by hand.. see if it's engaged.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Teching In

I had the exact same symptoms you are describing with reverse... When I tore down the tranny, not only was the reverse synchronizer ring jacked (which I'm sure Sixspeeds Inc. replaced), but the reverse synchronizer unit was toast! Did they replace the reverse synchronizer(slider)? Also, did you have problems with reverse before you sent the tranny to sixspeed?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds like the slider or blocker ring. If it had prior clutch disengangement issues what were they? When you fixed the clutch problem what did you do to fix it? I have a current customer with the same issue and a aftermarket clutch. We tore it back down and it had damaged the slider on the reverse gear when it wasn't disengaging correctly.

Send me your name and I will lookup the order and see what all we replaced other than the blocker rings.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 03-26-2008, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Never mind I found the order. We didn't replace anything in reverse except the blocker ring which comes with the kit. I would say it could have damaged the slider already if the clutch was having issues.

Ryan,

Give me a call at the shop in the am. We will go over what you did to correct the issues and what it could be.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like 6th has the most problems popping out of gear. I wonder if it's due to the brass blocker ring serving as the only friction surface for clutching that gear. Whereas in the other blocker rings there's lined surfaces, resulting in less travel which the synchro has to go before gear engagement. One would think that the machine tolerances would have been calculated to make up the difference, but it's possible. GM made revisions for both carbon blocker rings on the reverse gear and longer sleeves in 05.'
Old 03-27-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should look again, 6th does not have a brass alloy blocker. Reverse is the brass part. 5th & 6th have lined blockers. Early F-car T56s had organic-paper linings and later units had carbon-particle lined parts.
Were the shifter stops adjusted only in the 3.4 gate? You should check all gates when using shifter stops. Best is to leave the stops off as they do not really do anything.

Quick Reply: T56 problems popping out of reverse?