Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please help with M6!!! LOOK INSIDE PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help with M6!!! LOOK INSIDE PLEASE

I have no drive shaft on the car (up on stands) , and when in neutral, my trans turns slowly??? I could not figure out why my idle was ridding high at startup and staying there but now i think i know why, when the trans turns the car lifts rpm to compensate. If i am wrong let me know....
So why is my trans turning in neutral?? I have a 1-yr old Oz 700 and i never had any problems??? why now with the drive shaft off. am i low on oil?? (some has dripped out of the rear tail shaft)

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even in neutral, the clutch will turn the internal components of the transmission, with no driveshaft could simply be the flow of the fluid causing a bit of movement to the output shaft. You ever wonder why it's easier to get into gear from a stop if you release the clutch, the press in a second time and find it slips in? that's why.

Now the better question would be, does the car MOVE when you press the clutch in and rev to 6k while the transmission is in gear?

Unless the car is acting up while in a "normal" state, I wouldn't go crazy with trying to find problems.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

true that, thats perfectly normal, the inside componets are just turning very slowly and there is no pressure on the tranny at all without the driveshaft either
Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

No, when i push the clutch in ,it stops turning and my idle goes to normal, I only realized this because i am waiting for a new rear to come so i thought i would change plugs and remove the AIR PUMP and PCV system. When i started my car my idle whould not come down to 800, so I thought i did something wrong???

So what you are telling me is when i put the car back together and get some back preasure on the trans my problems should go away with the weird idle and trans turning.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Thanks a lot !!!!!

I can sleep now.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying your car is idling high?

In neutral, with the clutch pedal disengaged, the input shaft is rotating the counter shaft which rotates the gears on the main shaft. No power is tranferred to the output shaft because no synchronizers are engaged with any gears. So if the clutch (pedal) is disengaged, there are components rotating in the transmission because the engine is connected to the transmission. When you engage the clutch (pedal), then there won't be anything rotating in the transmission because you've disconnected the engine from the transmission. On a M6, the computer does not raise or lower the idle whether your in gear or not.

Quick Reply: Please help with M6!!! LOOK INSIDE PLEASE