Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave Cylinder Question - Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Slave Cylinder Question - Need Input

OK, I need this answered once and for all from someone (or multiple people) who know for sure.

I purchased a brand new slave cylinder from a well respected sponsor to swap when I did my Textralia swap. I had a friend from a very well respected LS1 shop help me do the swap (he's a mechanic there) and when we pulled the slave, he told me not to swap in the new one because it is from a 98-00 car and not the updated 01-02 slave. The difference between the two was that the little colored fitting on the end of the tube (where the master line plugs into the slave, I believe) was Orang and a slightly different design and shape than the one on the current slave cylinder, which was Green.

When I called the sponsor, they told me that the one they sent me (Orange) is an updated slave and there is no reason GM would continue to make the outdated slave (but who knows where this one came from, if it is maybe refurbished, etc, there is no way for me to tell).

Does anyone know for sure the answer to this dilemma? I'm pulling my tranny again anyways and have the opportunity to swap the new one in if the sponsor is correct and it is, in fact, an updated slave they sent me. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I did my last clutch install, I did the updated 01+ hydraulics which had the green fittings. My stock 98-00 had orange fittings.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you for the response. Anyone else?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does that textralia feel? I put one in my car in October, and even with the upgraded hydraulics, mine is still really hard to get in gear setting still, especially going into reverse. Its not tight enough to hurt anything, but it is a bit annoying, plus its hard to power shift the car, it doesn't go in gear well at wot.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
when I did my last clutch install, I did the updated 01+ hydraulics which had the green fittings. My stock 98-00 had orange fittings.
I agree.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
I agree.
Thanks for the response. It seems to be what most people are saying, so I need to call the sponsor again.

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
How does that textralia feel? I put one in my car in October, and even with the upgraded hydraulics, mine is still really hard to get in gear setting still, especially going into reverse. Its not tight enough to hurt anything, but it is a bit annoying, plus its hard to power shift the car, it doesn't go in gear well at wot.
Mine works pretty well, but I'm having some possible trans issues, so I don't want to give feedback based on an issue I don't know about yet. I like the clutch and have driven it in another car, where I also liked it. Your issue sounds like a hydraulic issue or trans issue. Perhaps you did not properly or fully bleed the master and slave.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I had the hydro's professionally installed/bled, and the tranny was upgraded at the same time. I guess an adjustable master is my next option, if that doesn't work out, I'll be forking out some cash for another setup.