Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

JSS, LSS, or Qwik Stick

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JSS, LSS, or Qwik Stick

Guys, just bought a 2000 TA wiht the factory hurst. The handle does suck, I have missed gears many times in one day. What is the best short stick to get, I know JSS is the cheapest. Also what is the lenght of the qwik stick in comparison LSS. I know that the JSS is .5 in. longer then LSS
Old 07-29-2003, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: JSS, LSS, or Qwik Stick

LSS was my first mod and I know Lou personally. Love it and love the short throws over the sitck on the Hurst. It is fun at the track also. Have missed a gear maybe twice in 2 years...
Old 07-30-2003, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

I'll second Keith's post. Good product and great guy. It was my second mod and I love it. Goodbye 2-3 missed upshift!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Quick Stick is 2.5" shorter than stock,love mine can really HIT 3rd with assurance now!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My review on the LSS and JSS:

When I ordered my WS6, it came with the factory Hurst option. The factory Hurst is better than the standard shifter but the factory stick has some faults. First the factory stick is long which reduces your time to shift. Second, the factory stick has a rubber isolater on the bottom. This is why the factory Hurst feels so mushy to most. Many will say the factory Hurst sucks and you should by a new shifter (which costs $200). WHY??? These are the people that never tried a short stick on the factory Hurst. Before doing the short stick option, I had done that and purchased a Pro 5.0 shifter but had several issues with the 5.0 (mostly excess noise and spring pressure) so I took it off and went back to the factory Hurst with a short stick. By removing the factory stick and replacing it with a short stick which eliminates the rubber isolater which gives the shifter a crisper shift and shorter throws. I was really impressed with the factory Hurst with by just replacing the stick. It felt like a better shifter and was comparible to the 5.0 shifter but didn't have the noise. When ordering a short stick, there's two options. Lou's Short Stick (LSS) and Jarods Short Stick (JSS). Both are pretty much equal. I went and bought both sticks just to compare.

Here's some pics of both short sticks.

Stock Hurst Stick on the left, Lou's in the middle and Jarod's on the right:

The last pic shows the rubber isolator found in the stock stick. This is the big reason why the factory Hurst feels so loose.

JSS is 1/2" longer than LSS. This can be easily shortened with a grinder and made to the same length as the LSS.

Both short sticks come with same size of bolts.

JSS has locking nuts and washers for added clamping

LSS is a little thicker and has a slight bend to it which angles away from the driver. This angle is not nessassary but it does seam to make the stick more verticle. Shifting is not comprimised with or without the angle.

LSS:
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/lscamaross/lous2.html
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/lousshortstick.html
Price: $47 + $5 shipping

JSS:
jarrodholland@hotmail.com
Price: $20 + $5 shipping.

Installation:
Just unscrew the shift **** and remove the leather boot. Two scews are easily accessed from there. Takes 5-10 minutes tops. Super easy!

Conclusion:
For the money, you can't go wrong with JSS. You can try the longer length first then grind it down 1/2" if its not short enough for you. I also like the chrome finish on the JSS. If money is no object and you don't want to grind anything, then I'd get the proven LSS.

Another thing to think about if you have a warranty. The dealer will sometimes void your transmission/clutch warranty if you have an aftermarket shifter like the Pro 5.0 or Ripper. The short stick should not void the warranty plus it only takes 5 minutes to install the longer stock stick so the dealer couldn't give you reason to void the warranty.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I'm using LSS now and think I'm going to give JSS a try. LSS is great but I feel I'd like just a *little* more height.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

i have the JSS and i cut it so theres just enough threads to hold the **** in place. i love it, feels great along with my pro 5.0
Old 04-03-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

it doesn't matter what you get. any of them are an improvement over the stock hurst stick, and they only vary by half an inch at most. just buy the cheapest. it's not something to fret so much over.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought LSS was better because of the angle which makes it sit up vertical but now I'm thinking the JSS (which is straight but makes the stick at an angle) might be more comfortable. When the stick is vertical with the LSS you actually have to bend your wrist to adjust. With the JSS at an angle your wrist is in a more natural state. I think. Anybody?
Old 04-09-2004, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

my LSS does not have a bend in it?

i baught it like year and a half ago
Old 04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Launching!

i like my lss
Old 04-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed a JSS and I love it, it ws a 200% imporvement.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The JSS looks like the really nice piece, and VERY cheap. Also has a lot of threads that you can cut off to make it shorter. Appears to be pretty stout too. Too bad I already have a B&M, or I would get the JSS.

Quick Reply: JSS, LSS, or Qwik Stick