Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need clutch help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need clutch help!!!!

Ok, here goes...I have a 98 Z28. My stock clutch was starting to slip whenever I would spray it. I picked up a stock Z06 setup with under 10K miles. I had the disc redone in Kevlar by a local clutch place. I had the flywheel resurfaced by my machine shop. The machinist recommended I use a flywheel shim, the clutch place said I should be o.k. without a shim. I installed it and found out that I would indeed need a shim. Being that is was late on Sunday I decided to to install the old flywheel and pressure plate with the new disc. I had done this before on an older car. (BTW I cleaned up the flywheel some with a Scotch Brite disc) After installing everything I had very little clutch pressure. I've bled the slave and bench bled the master. I'm having trouble getting into first and reverse. It shifts fine once it's going. I've had some people tell me it's the hydraulics and others say it's the pressure plate. I don't want to put an entire new clutch in and end up with the same problem. Basically I'm at a point where I don't know which way to go. Should I install new clutch or do I keep bleeding the hydraulics? I think I've gotten all the air out and South Florida is eventually gonna run out of brake fluid, I've already gone through 3 quarts. Sorry for the long post but, I'm doing this... NEED HELP....PLEASE
Old 08-08-2003, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need clutch help!!!!

I just installed a Spec StageII clutch, new slave, and had the flywheel turned. I didn't use a shim on the FW, I had the same problem couldn't get the car into reverse or first and the clutch grabbed right off the floor. I bled the system some more and the pedel got better, I could get it into any gear and it was now grabbing about 1" off the floor...the last thing I did was reverse bleed the system and now the clutch grabs about 2" off the floor. I used at least 2 quarts of brake fluid and I talked to a friend of mine and he told me about reverse bleeding, that did the trick...everything stayed in the car nothing had to come out this way.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

My clutch is grabbing when the pedal is almost all the way out.

What's reverse bleeding?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Teching In

What's reverse bleeding?
Instead of pushing the fluid in a downward manner you force the fluid upward from the slave to the master. The way that I did it is use my old quick disconnect fitting from my old slave and attached it to my MC, I used the Might Vac to draw fluid from its own resevior and pushed the fluid upward to the MC. If you can only bleed it conventionally tap the MC and the line as you bleed to try and dislodge the air bubbles trapped inside...that is how I initially got it to work before the reverse bleeding method.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Answered my own question....swapped the pressure plate out for the 2002 and now it works perfect.

Aaaaaaah...it's nice to spin second again.
RD99....thanks for your input.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

why did switching the pressure plate make this work, what was the difference????
Old 08-12-2003, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

From what I understand the 01-02 clutches are the same as the 98-00. The only difference is the pressure plate having more pressure. I read that a couple places...so, I figured since I already had a "Z06" pressure plate I'd give it a shot before ordering a new clutch. It grabs nice...even with a 100 shot behind it.

*Edit* I also spoke to a couple of guys that have race cars and they recommended trying the plate first.

Quick Reply: Need clutch help!!!!