Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild "how to" write up

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dip Stick:

sixspeedinc is MIA...i tried to get some parts from them and found a lock on their shop door put there by the landloard/leasing company.

I had to go through alternative sources to get my internal tranny parts. Also LMR has hired scott(head builder) from Sixspeedinc....give em a call.

For the actual synchro gears you need to get a whole new assy. They're pretty expensive. I need new 1/2 and 3/4 synchro assemblies because the teeth are flatted and completely worn off. no more bevel to speak of.

yes you named the pads and keys correctly.

the punch pins are the same size.

and not much risk in tranny oxidizing/rusting. mine has been out for almost a week with no probs.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

thanks and good to know.

Man I destroyed one of the angled roller bearings... the counterhsaft with the single one on the end... wow... the clam shell clamps couldnt get a hold of it cause of the countershaft's gear was right up aginst the angle bearing.

I defintiely need to find some sort of attackmnets or tools to use with the press so I can push on the shafts.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

this is awesome!!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

This writeup is killer, tons of good info. I'm about to horse-trade some pro-topline heads I paid $700 for to one of my buddies for his T56 which came out of his 95 Camaro. He removed it because it would grind into gears. Instead of tearing into it he just bought a new one. He "suspects" that either the shift fork or the synchros need replaced...

I decided to trade him my 700 dollar heads for his T56 on the condition that he let me tear it down first and inspect the hard parts. Now, how do I know what to look for as far as the inspection goes?

I've been told by other guys on FSC.com that 700 dollars isn't a bad price for a T56, supposing that most of it is in good shape. But I always value many opinions, so, what do you guys think??

I'm no stranger to turning wrenches, I rebuilt the 700-R4 automatic transmission in my Silverado so I'm pretty confident I can tackle a T56 rebuild.

The T-56 is going into my 1990 Silverado RCSB with a slightly modified 350. Modifications include: .060 overbore, port and polished stock heads, Crane 2030 cam, Ultimate TBI modifications, throttle body and injector pod spacers, adjustable stock fuel pressure regulator, K&N open element airfilter, Midlength headders and dual 3" exhaust with H-pipe and Flowmasters. Desktop Dyno shows that I have approximately 250 HP and 395 lb/ft TQ

Thanks for sharing this info, absolutely excellent write-up, and thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

The T56 Service manual tells you exactly what to look for when inspecting and whether or not it would need replaced.

The link is on the first page
Old 10-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I've already downloaded and began studying the service manual. Just looking for some more information if possible.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

to the OP:

The grooves on each slider(1/2 and 3/4) are not directional. The only reason joe does this is because tremec does this from the factory.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_21.html

It is important to note the two small grooves around the outer diameter of the two silver sliders should always be on the side that faces the front of the transmission.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default need help!

hey guys. Need some help.

I have a t56 out of something like a '06 SSR. I bought the keisler kit to push the shifter from all the way at the back to the middle.

Anyways I had to disassemble most of the trans to get install the kit. I thought I was very careful and everything to lay everything out on a table in the order and orientation that it came off but when I got everything apart and laid out I noticed that a super small spacer was on the ground and I have no clue where it goes. I cant find it in the rebuild manual.

The spacer is maybe 1/10 of an inch thick, and at most 1/8 inch wide. I really don't know how to describe what it looks like besides its very thin in all dimensions.

The inner diameter is the same of the main shaft down by 5/6 I believe. Im fairly sure it came out somewheres in the tail house part and not the main case.

If anyone can help me place this piece in the correct spot I'd appreciate it. What has me really aggravated is I thought I could figure out where it went as I assembled it so now I have a fully assembled trans without this part and I know I will have to pull some gears to get it in.

Either way, thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Picture?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can get a pic tomorrow. I was hoping it was an obscure enough of a part to be easily identified.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

mu guess, is a shim fell out... or if it is wavy, maybe its that wave spacer thing...
Old 12-14-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

not wavy, I got that one back in. This thing is tiny....like super tiny. The wave spacer is wide, the one I have is thin.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

and what shims(placement) are you referring to?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

the shims are placed at the ends up the input / main shafts. The bearings come with the brace thy seat into. Well if you look at the base of the transmission where the shafts fit into etc, you will see there are very thin almost like foil thin spacers.

but most of the shims are paper thin.

1/10 of an inch... just doesnt completely ring a bell... if its not metallic looking, like a ring of foil.. thin like paper...

Ill have to relook at my diagram. unless someoen else has a better clue
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 1/10" doesn't bother me, but trying to visualize something only 1/8" wide has me baffled... (or if they mean the metal is 1/8" wide, but the spacer is 2" diameter ?) So many questions that a picture would answer..

The "wavy" spacer would be the reverse gear brass blocker ring spring spacer, but it's also over 2" wide.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

maybe a roll pin? yea a picture would be nice I was thinking he meant the metal part that makes the ring... not the actual diameter of the entire ring.. something that small would have to be one of the rollpins.

thanks again Mike, yea forgot the name of that peice
Old 12-15-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cajundragger
hey guys. Need some help.

I have a t56 out of something like a '06 SSR. I bought the keisler kit to push the shifter from all the way at the back to the middle.

Anyways I had to disassemble most of the trans to get install the kit. I thought I was very careful and everything to lay everything out on a table in the order and orientation that it came off but when I got everything apart and laid out I noticed that a super small spacer was on the ground and I have no clue where it goes. I cant find it in the rebuild manual.

The spacer is maybe 1/10 of an inch thick, and at most 1/8 inch wide. I really don't know how to describe what it looks like besides its very thin in all dimensions.

The inner diameter is the same of the main shaft down by 5/6 I believe. Im fairly sure it came out somewheres in the tail house part and not the main case.

If anyone can help me place this piece in the correct spot I'd appreciate it. What has me really aggravated is I thought I could figure out where it went as I assembled it so now I have a fully assembled trans without this part and I know I will have to pull some gears to get it in.

Either way, thanks in advance.

Are you using the Tremec Service manual or generic rebuild manual??

Heres the Tremec manual just in case you don't already have it:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...ice_Manual.pdf
Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The 1/10" doesn't bother me, but trying to visualize something only 1/8" wide has me baffled... (or if they mean the metal is 1/8" wide, but the spacer is 2" diameter ?) So many questions that a picture would answer..

The "wavy" spacer would be the reverse gear brass blocker ring spring spacer, but it's also over 2" wide.
It is ~2" inner dia as in it slips on the main shaft. But the acutal "ring" is only about an 1/8 thick, probably thinner, in width so the whole outter dia is at most 2.25". Then it is very very thing, like 1/10 or thinner.

Im thinking it is a shim out of somewheres. But I dont have any slop in any on the non moving shafts.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

hope someone has this earmarked I need help wih the 5th/6th countershaft and driven ear section.

When putting on the 5th and 6th gear counterdshaft, what does the spacer after the 6th gear look like? also is there an additional spacer btw the spacer after 6th gear on the countershaft, and the coountershaft from inside the case that has the teeth at the end ?

I seem to have ended up with an extra spacer or something.

Cant seem to get a good picture of what is on there.

I have a simple silver spacer, a simple black outer with a silver inner spacer.. then I have an L shaped black outter with a silver inner spacer.

Any ideas?

thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

K, the 5/6th gear (#61) is a bastard. I've tried heating it up w/ a torch and I'm putting 100 ft/lbs of torque on this bitch and still nothing. Any ideas before I break something?

Quick Reply: T56 Rebuild "how to" write up