Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter question.

When I had my old formula, I put the shifter that came in the lt1 Camaro SS' and Pontiac Firehawks. It was harder to put in gear, and kinda notchy. I just got my 02 and it has a factory shifter, I'm not sure of the kind. Is there an aftermarket shifter that requires less effort to pull back and is smoother than the factory one with a better centering spring? I hear everyone tout the pro 5.0 but if "notchy" = "harder to put into gear" then I don't want a part of it. This is a daily driver. Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a smooth shifter, then you should prob. go with a hurst billet, or hurst comp plus or even maybe even a factory hurst if you want it to just feel a little bit better than factory. I have the hurst comp plus and I like the way it feels, its not notchey. anything else like a pro 50 is going to be a bit notchier. anything is better than the sloppy rubber feeling stock shifter. alot of the notchy feeling really comes from the t56 itself, its just the nature of this kind of tranny. But IMO the hurst shifters feel more smooth and less notchey yet you still get alot better feeling shifter.