Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shift Forks and Rail Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift Forks and Rail Assembly

So I'm in the process of rebuilding my T56 and I'm at the point where i'm lining up the shift forks and the rail assembly. So i line up the links on the forks with the lever/pin and then i tried turning the top of the rail by hand and it'll somewhat easily move in the neutral position between 1-2 and 3-4, but then it gets difficult when moving over to 5-6 and reverse. So i got it to a point where it'll move easily between all of them, so i slip on the main case and put the shift guide bolts in. With the guide bolts in the 5/6/R rail still jiggles around and then the main rail assembly because rock solid and wont budge at all by hand now.

The problems i was having before was the shifter was near impossible to move..i could only easily put the car in 4th, unless i pretty much kicked the shifter over with my foot and then jammed it into another gear... not very easily at that.

Since then ive torn the transmission apart and replaced all gears but reverse with billet keys, bronze pads from 1-4 and new carbon blocker rings. Now im wondering what else needs to be replaced... would a bent 3-4 fork cause these issues? or is my main rail effed?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Kinda hard to visualize your situation. I never move the linkage until the case is installed and the guide pins are installed, since the linkage can come apart until the case and pins are in..

The LHS pin (looking from outside of the case with the input shaft down) goes in easy to the 5/6/R shaft. The RHS pin is a little trickier and usually have to slightly lift up on the 5/6/R shaft to pull up the cog to all the pin to engage it correctly.

I still don't engage 5/6/R at this point, since it needs the tail shaft for full support/alignment, but the 1-4 gears should now engage smoothly..

HTH
mike
Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the left side pin goes in no problem... the right side pin on the other hand when i look threw the hole basically the top protruding part on the cog is right inline with the hole... without the pin in the rail moves freely but when i pull up so the groove in the cog lines up with the pin hole and i put the pin in.. the rail becomes super solid ... i was hoping that it would move easily before putting everything back together as i really don't want to have to tear it all apart again if it has the same issues as i was having. haha

Quick Reply: Shift Forks and Rail Assembly