Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which part is causing my chatter?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which part is causing my chatter?

Ok so I am getting fed up with this having to deal with this chatter everyday. I installed a SPEC Stage 2 clutch kit about 6k miles ago, and installed a new slave and master cylinder. Ever since I installed it, everytime I engage or disengage the clutch just chatters, bucks, jumps, rocks, whatever you want to call it.

Very low RPMS trying to slowly pull into my garage is horrible because it bucks so bad, it shakes the entire car hard. When my old clutch took a dump the pressure plate was fine but the disc had been torn and shattered in a few spots. I am leaning toward the flywheel being my problem because we did not resurface it when installing it. I had the help of a longtime ex-mechanic that told me it looked perfect and shouldn't have had to resurface it.

Is the flywheel causing my issue? Will resurfacing it at this point help at all?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be your SPEC.

But seriously, I had a SPEC Stage 2 for a while and had a different issue with it regarding the flywheel, but never had ANY chatter at all, right from the install until the day I pulled it. I would imagine your issue has to do with the fact that you never got the flywheel resurfaced. It's most likely a balance issue and possibly caused by the rough surface of the non-resurfaced flywheel. At this point you're in a bad spot, though, because you've already put 6,000 miles on the clutch and although it's been seated to a bad flywheel, it has been seated, so I don't know if it would be worth pulling the flywheel to get it resurfaced or just buying a new clutch/flywheel. Give Jeremy at SPEC a call and see what he has to say.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I have heard some people say I would be fine resurfacing it now, but I just want to hear a lot of input. Thanks for the info.

Bump
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your gunna pull the flywheel now, might as well replace the whole clutch assembly. do everything right the first time around.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I just put in this clutch 6k miles ago. I don't want to spend almost $500 again right now.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

as mentioned you should have resurfaced the FW. May have already worn a uneven pattern in disc but you can try and just resurface the FW now and reinstall.

every clutch mfg. says to resurface or replace FW with a new clutch install.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Ok so I am getting fed up with this having to deal with this chatter everyday. I installed a SPEC Stage 2 clutch kit about 6k miles ago, and installed a new slave and master cylinder. Ever since I installed it, everytime I engage or disengage the clutch just chatters, bucks, jumps, rocks, whatever you want to call it.

Very low RPMS trying to slowly pull into my garage is horrible because it bucks so bad, it shakes the entire car hard. When my old clutch took a dump the pressure plate was fine but the disc had been torn and shattered in a few spots. I am leaning toward the flywheel being my problem because we did not resurface it when installing it. I had the help of a longtime ex-mechanic that told me it looked perfect and shouldn't have had to resurface it.

Is the flywheel causing my issue? Will resurfacing it at this point help at all?

Dude I'm having the same issues right now with my spec stage 1. i did resurface the flywheel though and replaced the slave cylinder and it made no difference. Im getting ready to replace the tranny mount n motor mounts. i cant figure it out.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
wrencher

If you just resurface the FW it will still chatter. It is the disc.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Chatter is a result of the interaction of the disc and the flywheel surface. Not having surfaced your flywheel is the most likely culprit. It isn't unusual to see chatter during break-in but as the unit seats the chatter will dissipate. That being said your next move depends on what kind of shape the disc is in. If you are interested I will be happy to issue an RMA# for you to send the assembly back to us for further assessment. At that time we can check out the flywheel, disc, and plate and let you know what your best move will be. It is possible that you could get away with just resurfacing the flywheel, but you may also benefit from a disc repad. The plate should be ok...but this is something that needs to be seen to be inspected. Let me know what you decide and I will be happy to assist you in any way. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default #2 vote - SPEC is the problem!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
That would be your SPEC.
My last SPEC 3+ clutch lasted all of 4.5 months - and I'm ONLY NA with an LT4 Hate Cam. I'm done with them...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok well I will pull my flywheel sometime within the next month or so when I get some time, and take pictures of the FW and the disc and post them up here.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

I will keep an eye out for the pics. If for some reason I miss them just IM me and I will be happy to assist with assessment. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which part is causing my chatter?