Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is This Normal???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Normal???

Whats up. When Im at a stand still and disengage the clutch to put it in gear, I have noticed that the car rocks foward a bit. It doesnt move the car, and only happens the first time I put it in gear after disengaging the clutch. If I disengage the clutch, put it in first, it sways forward, if I keep the clutch disengaged and take it out of gear then put it back in, it doesnt rock the car. It seems like it only happens when I initially put it in gear. No grinding, maybe a litttle tightness getting it in gear the first time. I can move the shifter freely between first and reverse with the clutch about an inch or two of the floor and I get no movement when the clutch is disengaged in gear and reving the engine, so I believe my clutch is fully disengaging.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your transmission is constantly moving when the clutch is engaged despite not being in gear which transfers the power to the wheels. When you push in the clutch the momentum of the internals is still there despite not having additional energy added to it. When you immediately put it into gear, that energy is transferred to the wheels hence the very tiny lurch.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
Your transmission is constantly moving when the clutch is engaged despite not being in gear which transfers the power to the wheels. When you push in the clutch the momentum of the internals is still there despite not having additional energy added to it. When you immediately put it into gear, that energy is transferred to the wheels hence the very tiny lurch.
true that