Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another LS7 clutch issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LS7 clutch issue...

So last night we finally got my new ls7 clutch and flywheel in the car bled the system to get all the air out and took it out for a drive to see how everything was going to work out. the car shifts through all the gears fine when the car is not on but when the car is running i only get 1st 4th and 6th gears. if u put the car in any of those gears while the car is off and start it then it stays in gear fine and doesnt pop out of anything. i am sick of these clutch problems i looked all over the forum for a solution but dont come up with much. help please!!! i am about to burn my car to the ground!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a trans issue not a clutch.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

my thoughts too..transmittion problem..
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree, this sounds more like a clutch disengagement issue.

Here's a fairly easy test: put the rear up on jackstands and chock the front wheels. Both back wheels off the ground.

Start the engine, clutch pedal in, and shift to 1st. Release the clutch as if you were driving and observe the rear wheels spinning.

Then, fully depress the clutch pedal and use the brakes to stop the rear wheels.

Release the brake pedal, leaving the clutch pedal fully depressed.

Do the rear wheels resume turning, even a little?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having some issues with mine too. But my car isnt even on the ground yet. From what Ive heard, this sometimes happens with the LS7. One person I spoke with said theirs was like this for about a week. They had to shut the car off at stop signs to get it back into first and start it back up. Then, out of the blue, it started driving perfect.

Something about the LS7 clutch "self adjusting"?? Some guys try to adjust them "pre-install"...but it never works out. Im not sure what to expect now...but I plan to just put the car down, and drive it around in a big parking lot for awhile. See if it evens out.

Oh...wheels off the ground, clutch in, trans in first, rear axles will spin. Can be stopped by your hands though with the clutch in...but its tough.

My trans was 100% fine before the clutch install. Hydraulics are new, and bled via a power bleeder, and a remote bleed line...also used the pedal to move some fluid out after the power bleeder.

J.

---------------------------------------
EDIT: Might as well update. Went home yesterday to work on the car...decided to just try the clutch. What do ya know... Now the darn thing works fine. Pedal feels smooth and light, with the motor running, clutch in, the tires will slightly budge when going into first. I was able to run from 1st - 6th (on jack stands) and I can get into reverse pretty easy now. Really really strange. I feel good enough about it to try driving it. So hopefully it breaks in even more.

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 08-19-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Teching In

i forgot all about this thread i guess because right after i posted it what i ended up doing was just going out and driving the car to see if it would just work it self out and it turns out that it did. i was just cruising around and all of the sudden it just started slipping into all the gears perfectly. even though i forgot about this thread maybe it will help somebody else out in the future.