Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 t56 shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 t56 shifting problems

Ok guys, I've searched around a lot and before I start spending alot of money to get this thing fixed, I wanted a second opinion.

99 Trans-Am, 150,000 miles. Stock shifter (not the short throw hurst) with a WS6store short stick. Bought the car used so I'm ASSUMING it has stock everything still in it. Clutch has never slipped, but I've never really ran drag radials on it.

First off, if the car is off, clutch in, every gear shifts around fine and as smooth as it possibly could. Crank the car and same thing. When I'm driving it normally or at the track, it gets really notchy and I have a hard time hitting gears (not a driver problem...the car has done it to about 2 or 3 other people). Seems like the problem only happens when the motor is turning a high rpm. I have to hold pressure on it and it usually takes about 2 or 3 seconds to get it into 3rd at a high rpm. Every now and then when I stop at a stop sign or something and go into neutral, it won't take first unless I let out on the clutch a little and it slips right in. Syncros? Shift forks? Throwout bearing? Shifter?

Clutch will stick down once in a blue moon, but I haven't done the drill mod on it. The last time it went down the track, a buddy of mine drove it and it felt like it went into 2nd, but just revved up, then wouldn't take 3rd. He had to take it back out to neutral and back down into second before it would take. I would think it was the clutch or throwout bearing, but it's never slipped as long as I've had the car. This is my first 6-speed car so I've never had any problems like this to deal with before.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Searching through the stickies for the 100th time, I'm thinking it's probably going to be the syncros. Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather not try trial and error to get things right though.

Last edited by 2k1bird; 08-17-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

that happened in my 98 mustang ( a 5-speed, granted )
i had a bad throwout bearing, but my synchros worked just fine... and as far as i could tell... that was all that was wrong was the throwout.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully I can get it on a lift sometime soon and go through and eliminate some things it could be.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem is its a 6 speed...go automatic...lol i kno the pain of the m6 problems, cus im still dealing with em. My problem is there is not enough spacer and the clutch is not boin pushed in all the way...it has 150k on the oem clutch???
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ttranssam
the problem is its a 6 speed...go automatic...lol i kno the pain of the m6 problems, cus im still dealing with em. My problem is there is not enough spacer and the clutch is not boin pushed in all the way...it has 150k on the oem clutch???
The way I bought the car a couple of years ago, I'm assuming it's the stock clutch. The car didn't have a single aftermarket part on it. Totally stock all the way down to the paper filter. I haven't dropped the trans since I've had it so all I can do is assume it's still all stock.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k1bird
Ok guys, I've searched around a lot and before I start spending alot of money to get this thing fixed, I wanted a second opinion.

99 Trans-Am, 150,000 miles. Stock shifter (not the short throw hurst) with a WS6store short stick. Bought the car used so I'm ASSUMING it has stock everything still in it. Clutch has never slipped, but I've never really ran drag radials on it.

First off, if the car is off, clutch in, every gear shifts around fine and as smooth as it possibly could. Crank the car and same thing. When I'm driving it normally or at the track, it gets really notchy and I have a hard time hitting gears (not a driver problem...the car has done it to about 2 or 3 other people). Seems like the problem only happens when the motor is turning a high rpm. I have to hold pressure on it and it usually takes about 2 or 3 seconds to get it into 3rd at a high rpm. Every now and then when I stop at a stop sign or something and go into neutral, it won't take first unless I let out on the clutch a little and it slips right in. Syncros? Shift forks? Throwout bearing? Shifter?

Clutch will stick down once in a blue moon, but I haven't done the drill mod on it. The last time it went down the track, a buddy of mine drove it and it felt like it went into 2nd, but just revved up, then wouldn't take 3rd. He had to take it back out to neutral and back down into second before it would take. I would think it was the clutch or throwout bearing, but it's never slipped as long as I've had the car. This is my first 6-speed car so I've never had any problems like this to deal with before.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Searching through the stickies for the 100th time, I'm thinking it's probably going to be the syncros. Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather not try trial and error to get things right though.

Mine does the same thing. I heard the stock clutches heat up & cause this. Also, since our cars are older than the 01-02, our clutch hydraulic system is not the upgraded improved version so that might be it. I was gonna try the drill mod & drill that restriction out of the line from the master cyl. first before I go & change all the hydraulics on it. I hope I get some time this week to do this. The pedal feels good & firm but it seems like the clutch isnt releasing all the way & maybe its that damn restriction in the line when youre trying to get a quick shift restricting the flow to the slave cyl. I hope so. BTW, if you looked through the stickies, the biggest cause of trans failure is the hydraulics condition.