Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problem

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch problem

On my way home from work today, my car suddenly developed a rather severe clutch slippage problem. This wasn't a gradual thing, this morning no problems at all, this afternoon, can't even give it half throttle without slipping.

Now, a bit of history. As my sig indicates, I run Nitto NT555 RII tires. Yup, comp tires, these are my street tires. New set of tires every year. Yes, I do drive aggressively. I've gone through two factory clutches, each lasting between 30-40k miles. Almost exactly two years ago, I installed a Star Stage 3 clutch and Fidanza flywheel. As of this afternoon, I have to baby it to keep it from slipping.

I'm not trying to make an acusations here, or bitching about anything, yet anyways. I'm calling the shop first thing tomorrow to get it in to find out what the problem is. I don't know if there's any other mechanical problems that could cause clutch slippage (actually, I know a fluid leak in that area could do so, and that's a possibility), so I'm not blaming the clutch right now. What I'd like to know is whether there's any possible clutch type defects that could be detected, and if so, what should I be looking for.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you installed your clutch, did you replace the rear main crank seal?

Also, check your clutch hydraulic reservoir to see if the fluid level is where it should be, eg. not low.

Search this Thread