Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange discovery about my clutch and hydraulics...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strange discovery about my clutch and hydraulics...

A month or so ago, while doing a normal bleed of the clutch ie 2 people one working under etc, air was introduced into the system via a mishap of pumping while the clutch was open AND a reservoir sucked dry. Took a few more bleeds that day, but the pedal feel returned to normal.

A month ago or so, a new symptom appeared in my clutch, after running for high rpm for an extended period ie holding 2nd on a long exit ramp then gunning it, the shift to 3rd would be blocked out. Runs at the track didn't exhibit this symptom, but a few highway trips with some WOT 3rd and 4th gear blasts showed sticking clutch pedal.

I figure air was still trapped. Multiple bleeds cleaned the fluid up, not that it was dirty to begin with, but still had issues that showed up on dyno when I was tuning the car the other day.

I tried to mityvac the hydraulics and pulled some air. Weird thing happened. My really stiff feels like a cable clutch kind of stiff clutch turned into a true "LS7 feels closer to the feather feel of the LS7 Z06" kind of feel. It's definitly lighter in feel AND my engagement point moved up from half to like 80% like really close to the top. Before engagement was half way or so.

I'm going to test some extended hold 2nd gear runs to see if I can shift WOT fine. I've been able to powershift before and shift 1-6 quick off a dig ie track, but wondering now if just because I like to really floor the clutch that I never noticed a problem. Also it never crawled if I brought it to 6k rpm while in 1st gear.

I'll keep this thread updated on my new found feather feel clutch...

As a note been driving with the "stiff" clutch since Oct 06.

LS7 clutch Oct 06
LS2 flywheel Oct 06
01-02 Slave 0ct 06
01-02 Master Apr 07
Drill Mod Apr 07

Quick Reply: Strange discovery about my clutch and hydraulics...