Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinding sometimes.........and sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question grinding sometimes.........and sticking

its a 98

when ever i rip threw the gears at wot,sometimes the clutch doesnt come up not allowing me to shift into any gear. what would cause this?

then when i go from 2nd to 3rd or 4th to 3rd it grinds but not all the time. it doesnt grind in 1st,2nd, 5th,6th. bent forks?

another thing is i cant down shift to 5th...i have to put it in 4th then into 5th

what im gonna do is put in a new slave cylinder in and fluid. and new flluid in the trans. since i never done since i got the car. hoping this will fix the grinding and the sticking???!??!??.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Launching!

dude same prob with down shifting from 6th to 5th... and pedal sticks... lots of info but hard narrowing the problem... are you stock? i'm sure not if your having this prob
in the owners manual it doesn't recommend draining the tranny just topping off... i have heard this from many people
as for the down shifting it could be messed up synchros and for the pedal sticking it could be too much power a leak somewhere... have you looked underneath as i just did today and found a leak where the tranny bolts onto the clutch housing... pretty lame...

i'm not stock and i'm going to go with the ls7 clutch and new clutch fluid also gonna rebuild my tranny to try to work out the synchro problem... yours might be bent forks or synchros starting to go out
Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

time for a rebuild man.....
Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of problems here, but stemming from a single source.

First its the sticking pedal. QUIT DRIVING IT LIKE THAT. That's a sure fire way to destroy your transmission.

To solve that issue, try a really good clutch bleed. Use DOT4. Drill mod (search button) for upper rpm shifting. If the forks were going, specific sets of gears would act up, ie 3-4 or 1-2. The reason the bottom set may grind is probably your shifter and the fact that the even gears are longer throws than the odd gears and if your clutch/hydraulics are the issue, a dragging clutch would really wreck the timing of the shifts for the even gears.

If the pedal still sticks at WOT, you will probably have to change out the hydraulics, new slave and new master. If the slave is getting changed out, might as well opt for a new clutch, LS7 kits are good replacement clutches for cheap.

If the transmission problems persist and is still specific to the 6-5 then that is the indicator of time for a rebuild.

From cheap to expensive.

Clutch bleed and drill mod.
Master replacement (with drill mod)
Slave and clutch
Transmission rebuild.