Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

'93 A4 to M6 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '93 A4 to M6 question

Ok, I have a quick question. Am I right in thinking that it would be easier to swap a '93's A4 to an M6 than the later years because you wouldn't have to mess with all the electrical stuff? I have an old '93 that I would consider swapping trannys with if that is true...
Old 10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

To wire in the T56, the 93's actually might be a little different than the newer stuff with the Speed Sensor on the Transmission. Unless I'm mistaken, the 4L60 has the large Speed Sensor. I don't know exactly but I would think the wiring would be the same, you just have to get the smaller Speed Sensor for the T56.

All the rest is pretty much the same though, wire in the Reverse Lights and the Reverse Lockout if you want that..

It's not too bad to do really..
Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.... i would like the camaro to be a manual... since i drive it more.... better gas mileage.... not to mention a bit of fun . haha. I already have experience getting the tranny in and out too since i put the converter in my TA, so that shouldn't be a problem.

With the later years don't you have to do all the stuff with the computer too, or is that just the M6 to A4? I just kinda figured if the PCM for the A4 car would freak out if the transmission just disappeared for all it knew . lol. That's why i figured something would have to be done, and then maybe the '93 would be nice because you didn't need that. Now what would be cool is if i could get the manual from '93 with the different gearing.....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

^^You are right, the PCM for the newer cars does flip out a lil bit..

That and it holds RPM's when you go to shift.. It's kinda like an Auto-powershift, but it's really a pain in the *** and annoying..

And if you wire the Reverse Lockout properly, the PCM will not activate it until you tune it too.

Also, the Speedo needs to be converted for the T56, it's a 17-pulse or something like that..

Quick Reply: '93 A4 to M6 question