Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Attempted some Wetsanding!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Attempted some Wetsanding!

I've been meaning to try wetsanding the entire car this summer so I decided to practice on a small part. I've had great success before with certain problem areas on my car. Well here's the pics:

1. The tools:

2. After a 2000 grit sanding:

3. After some Rubbing compound to help smooth down the sand marks:

4. After a medium cut abrasive:

5. The finished result:

The finish is great. Obviously no swirl marks! And no Orange Peel! I am a little upset as the wetsand didn't get rid of all of the rock chips though! You could kinda see them in the last pic. I had a hard time focusing with the camera - I guess cuz the finish was so deep!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good now repeat X10000000

looking good tho
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Looks really good. I've never gathered up the courage to do this too my entire car. I think I'll try it when the car needs a refresh, that way I'll just be expecting to repaint it regardless.

Did you use a high-speed orbital at all? Or just the 7424? What speed settings did you do everything at?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I used to do that back in the day. I painted cars some time ago, first the stuff your using is (no offense) CRAP.
Get yourself some 1000, and 1200 grit and or 2000 grit wet sand paper form a reputable paint supply. Use according to level of issue. Scratch use in stages, orange peel use 2000 and keep it lubed with a drop (A DROP) of dishsoap or youll clog the paper pores. Then get your self some 3M Microfinish "compound", 3M Finesse-it II polish and 3M Perfect-it polish for black. Use a compound pad for microfinish(use lightly and caution this stuff is fast cut, go easy!), then polish pad with finesse-it, then blak foam pad with perfect-it. Trust me I wet sanded paint runs, hangers, imperfections, you name it. The stuff is all 3M, comes in quarts, and get the good 3M pads or shlaegel pads. You will do panels in 1.5x1.5 areas at a time and only sand with the wet til the surface starts to look like the orage peel is justa bout gone, NOT GONE! leave room to have the compound move the surface clear around or cut it chemically. Then carefully finish. (3 steps).
USE THE COMPUND SPARINGLY, and the wheel on the lowest speed using progressive release of pressure off surface.. "ease up as you break down the scratches or you'll get a thin spot.. and they will need paint and or show up real bad"
When done use ZAINO products to finish polish the whole car and keep it tight!!
Good Luck.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Teching In

One last thing, get a waterbug (wet sander) try Ebay. save your arms. and its more flat. andadapts to curves on the body.
And the meguirs stuff sucks ***, they have too many products that do about the same thing, and they work slow with lousy result, and or are oily.. and a B@TCH to get off... Stick with 3M. The paper your using is good, stay with that but your not gonna get stones chips out. Fil them with a good touch up, OEM brand like 3-4 times then wet sand and polish. Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

James, touch up the chips several times if need be before you wetsand the panel. Build it up so you can wetsand it flat. Don't get greedy with wetsanding seeing as you don't want to go through the clearcoat.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also remember factory clear coats are already thin, so don't go nuts on the sanding. To me it looks like you went too far with it on your first picture. I also agree 100% on the 3M products and pads with a quality buffer. I still have some left in the quart bottles that I've bought years ago and done too many cars to count.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my car 2 years ago and it came out great! All good advice here. I used the 3M perfect it II and 3M Finesse it II. It made a big difference over the products you have. The sail panel even looked good for about a year. Today it looks like crap with all the bubbling. It's time for a new one. Oh, be careful around edges like in the rear wing, you'll burn through real easy. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wet sand, then menzerna power gloss, then menzerna super intensive polish, then menzerna ceramic polish, then 3m ultrafina polish, then on top something of your choosing, i would go with klasse, or some carnauba if you want a deep shine. Using the meguirs to finish it sucks....the basic line is no good. Also using a rotary buffer will usually make the best finish, but you have to worry about burning the paint.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good james, now its time for the whole car.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

it looks good! are u willing to do the whole car? thats a lot of work

Quick Reply: Attempted some Wetsanding!