Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

computer guys, please chime in!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default computer guys, please chime in!!!!

ok, here is the deal, short and to the point.

My girlfriends router stopped working, nothing, no wireless and no hardwired after i dicked around with it trying to get a wireless printer going on it. The comcast modem worked when directly plugged into the computer without the router. We thought it was broke so i brought it too my house and tried it on my internet.

We both have the same isp and the router works perfectly fine at my house connected to my internet.

what is the deal??? the only thing i can think of is i changed the router from "mix mode" to "g mode" while working at my house.

I have yet to go back and try it with the new setting at her house, but can anyone think of what this can be???? could it be as simple as changing it from mode to mode???

please help an fbody guy out, im not great at computers at all!!

thanks

Kevin
Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like it'd be worth a try to me. You could try going on the internet and finding a firmware upgrade for it but idk that that would make a big difference either. I'm not too familiar with newer hubs.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Upgrade firmware on the router. When you set the wireless up try a different channel on the router wireless config (channel 1-7). Make sure nothing else in the house is blocking or causing the signal to drop (I.E. cordless phones, cell phones, thick walls).

If mixed mode doesnt work find out what type the printer is N or G or the older crap. In the printer config make sure you have the correct settings also for this. Some dont like WEP and some do (some older HP printers).
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

I assume that you tried a modem/ router reset at your girlfriends house before unpluggint it and taking it to your house to try out?

What kind of router is it? Wireless printing is a PITA and sketchy at best from my experience. If it is a wireless printer, it probably also has a NIC in it, and you should just hardwire it to the network IMO. Most of the wireless printers will do WEP, but a lot of older stuff does not get along with WPA.

Back on the router though, maybe it just locked up and fritzed out for a few minutes. It happens. I would try the firmware upgrade on the router though if it is working at your house.

Quick Reply: computer guys, please chime in!!!!