Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

IL Titling Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IL Titling Question

I recently purchased an old motorcycle that I am restoring. I recieved a bill of sale from the previous owner. Does anyone know how I go about getting a proper title in my name for it?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's anything like the boat I just bought, you need to get a power of attorney form and have the previous owner sign it. I got mine from the local fast license place. Give your local place a call...they can tell you for sure.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt you will ever get a title or be able to liscence it. I did the same thing and when you call the state to find out who holds the title they will not tell you anything because of privacy laws. My suggestion would be to find a cop thats a friend and have him run the VIN and it will show the registered owner. Just dont tell anybody how you found out.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done. My friend bought a car in rhode island with no title and drove it back to IL he was able to get a title. Long story short it can be done but it takes a long time to do. The state will make sure it isn't stolen, and you have to pay a fee.

Quick Reply: IL Titling Question