Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Every little bit counts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every little bit counts

I have an interesting question that i doubt anyone has actual experience with but here goes. Assuming the exact same mods on both cars which would be faster; a fourth generation camaro or a trans am. Exactly how much does air drag play on a quarter mile time? I dont care if it comes down to a thousand of a second, every little bit counts right? Then my next question is how much does the difference play in a low 13 second cars and a high 9 second cars with identical mods?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an exact answer for you, but I would say it boils down to a difference which is neither measurable nor significant. Either that, or curb weight

I suppose you first have to ignore the documented small differences in LS1's from year to year (cam profiles, injectors, tunes, availability of emissions equipment and their weight, intakes, etc..) and then you have to forget about vehicle options and manufacturing variations (that ultimately affect engine output) and then also assume a bunch more things like the type of rear diff fluid, tire pressure, down to even the health of the motor mounts... after all that, the cars will be so close that a change in any one of those things can swing it either way. That's what I meant by insignificant. Plus you have to ask yourself if you're comparing T-Top cars, which models (for the hoods & wings), i

With that said, I'd say that the firebird has a measurably less aerodynamic body and loses in the end even if you tack on the "ram air" effect of a WS6. Which one weighs less given identical options, body type, and year (eg 2002 t-top)?