Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Detroit area help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit area help!

Hey, Floridian in the house!
I'm going up to Detroit for the 2006 NAIAS, to see the new concept Camaro! I will be arriving on the early on the 20th, going to the show on the 21st and leaving late on the 22nd. I need help from anyone in the Detroit area on what to do on the 20th and 22nd. I'd like to visit a GM and Ford plant, dunno if that's possible. I've heard they give tours? Any other input on things to do would be much appreciated! Thx
Old 12-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Teching In

I work at the GM building downtown, just a block or two from Cobo. I'd recommend at least stopping there. They've got a bunch of old and new GM cars in the lobby that are pretty sweet. I haven't toured any plants, but I'm sure it's possible. The proving grounds and tech center are very cool, but no tours there, sorry. There are some good bars downtown. I like Old Shelelagh, The Detroiter, Jacoby's, and Hockeytown, to name a few. Are you staying downtown?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dearborn assembly plant (F-150) does tours organized through The Henry Ford Museum. Check out http://www.thehenryford.org/rouge/default.asp for more details. I haven't been on it but I hear that it's a really cool tour, especially for those who don't work in the industry. Call for tickets ahead of time, as I think it sells out often. The museum itself is also pretty cool if you're into American history from the last century or so. It's not just Ford cars and trucks. They have the car that Kennedy was shot in, the chair that Lincoln was shot in, the '67 Foyt/Gurney LeMans winning GT40, and a bunch of other cool things. I work across the street so if you need anything....

Another tip: Bring warm clothes. Auto Show week is almost always one of the coldest weeks of the year. (Maybe not, but it sure seems that way.) High temps lately have been in the mid-20s with wind chill in the single digits. I heard it might be 40 tomorrow... Heat wave!!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 AM
12 Second Club

Cool thx guys, some good ideas! I'll definitely be hitting up a couple bars at night. I think we're going to be staying at the Westin Hotel, which is at the airport? That's a short trip from downtown? I hope. Hey johnny, you have access to the proving grounds and tech center? If so, how bout you hook a LS1 brotha up and get me in?

I used to live in NY about 8 years ago, so this will be a good reminder of how cold it can get up north. It got down to 39 down here tonight, lil chilly but not to bad.
That Henry Ford thing looks interesting, any idea on how long the tour is?