Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

advice on what to do next(98z28)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advice on what to do next(98z28)

i bought my camaro two years ago thinking i would drive it and have some fun while working on the buick......that didn't happen, the buick has just sat there and i kept messing with the camaro.....i did the headers/exhaust myself, put in a tc myself, along with various other little things.......then last summer i spun a bearing, and it's pretty much sat ever since.....i tried swapping the metal tank to a plastic one(i messed up the metal one while swapping the fuel pump) without much success, and i'm looking at my crowded garage and wondering where to even start with the motor.....i think i'd rather just pay someone to mess with it now, and i may end up doing the same with the electra later on....

should i just put it back together so it at least rolls and haul it to a shop???
actually, i'm starting to sell myself on that idea, but i'm wondering a few things:

should i get it rebuilt or buy a shortblock?

what would the cost in labor be(aprx.) for rebuilding an engine,installing a new fuel tank, and tuning?

what shops in the greater detroit area would get this done and be good to work with? i've heard nothing but good things about stenod, but they don't do engine work do they? w2w obviously does great work, but i'm scared of their prices.....i've also read good things about c.a.r.s. in waterford......a guy i work with went to aggressive on groesbeck, but they took forever.....
i'm not against going to a smaller shop either, i noticed one guy on here even does work at a dealership, i just think i'm to the point of not wanting to mess with this anymore...
i live in mount clemens, so the closer the better, but i'm gonna have to trailer it wherever so i guess it doesn't really matter.....

any feedback is appreciated......
Old 04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

I hear Livernois does great work in Michigan.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

W2W or Stenod
Old 04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Restricted User

I have an engine that will be ready in a week or two if you're interested. It'll be complete with Forged rods/pistons ported heads and a decent sized cam... If you're interested PM me
Mike
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'll pry end up talking to stenod, livernois, and a few other places....what does stenod do for rebuilds? do they source it out or can they do it inhouse???

i need to decide if i want to have the current block rebuilt or if i'm going with a completely new engine........whatever i do it will be built around the 4200 stall, no no2 or other power adder....NBM2001Z28 thanks for the response, but i won't have the green for everything for a bit.....i need to start talking to some folks to get a ball park figure so i can set aside the cash needed to get this thing started.........

say i get the current engine rebuilt, what would be a good ball park figure for the total cost(engine removal, tear-down, rebuild, install, hook up new fuel tank , tune, ect.)??? 5-10k??? 15k???? just generally speaking.....i'm hoping to get it running by next spring, we will see......thanks for the replies, kepp any suggestions coming
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by stevemilz
W2W or Stenod
i second this
Old 04-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Outlaw Motorsports
Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

If your budget is what you are concerned with, you can get a 402 LS2 short block for pretty cheap through some sponsors.

Outlaw has my car, though.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm not so concerned about the budget from a "i want this done super cheap" standpoint...i'd just like some idea on the general cost for the whole operation...

i've thought about the ls2 swap, a ls6 crate motor, ect......we'll see...i see new shortblocks are anywhere from 2,700-5,000, but then i need to look at the heads, intake, ect(which i may do even with just a rebuild).......if i could get the current motor rebuilt with some sturdier parts i would guess it would be even more cost effective, and i was pretty happy with where the performance was, but i don't know what shops charge to do that.....
Old 04-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Restricted User

Thats why i was saying mine not be a bad idea, Ported heads, new cam, valvetrain, new shortblock and it'll be in the $5000 area...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
Thats why i was saying mine not be a bad idea, Ported heads, new cam, valvetrain, new shortblock and it'll be in the $5000 area...

i just reread your post, i hadn't even noticed the "ported heads" in the desc...

i was kind of hoping i could find a local shop to do everything, then it's one place i'm dealing with, one place responsible for the engine build and the install, so there are no issues with a bad install or a bad build getting the blame for a problem......if i don't go that route i'll keep you in mind....

Quick Reply: advice on what to do next(98z28)