Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Ohio inspections?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ohio inspections?

I was curious if anyone knew how they inspect out of state cars? Or what they check for at inspections. I know when I used to live there they would do random inspections, this was in the late 80's. We might move back to my home town area, Troy/Piqua. I don't think my car will pass an inspection and was wondering what all they check. It's a big maybe if we're going to move back, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row if we do.

I'll probably sell my car here if it's going to be to much hassle. It's a heads/cam full bolt on car with headers/ory/Hooker catback/3 1/2" cutout. They don't do emmisions that I'm aware of, but I have no emissions equipment. Any info would be helpful.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

They use to have e-check where they ran your car on adyno and visual inspection for cats etc,but stopped doing it in december(no more E-checks)Ever since then got lt hedders ory cam loudmouth so you will bw ok
Old 08-06-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you think that applies to out of state cars as well though. Here in Las Vegas they do ob2 testing for emissions, so even though I'm not legal, I pass smog every year. But if I was to move to Vegas from out of state, you have to go to the DMV to get your car inspected. Which mine would fail.

If we do move, I would like to just turn in my Vegas plates and register my car there. I would hate to get there and have to return most of my car to stock just for a dmv check. The cops out here are pretty cool as well and in Piqua they used to pull you over for almost anything.

I have been back a couple times in my car on vacation and they would just stare, but they never pulled me over. I had no front plate, limo tinted windows, and my car is pretty loud. Maybe because of the Vegas plate, I don't know. Maybe because of my family back there and they just didn't mess with me. Needless to say though, that is on a vacation, not actually living/staying there.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I sorta found my own answer. I found this on the Ohio dmv website. I'll be fine if this is all they do. I can get someone from my family to hook me up at a car dealership.

Title, Registration and License Plates

If you own a vehicle, you will need to have it inspected. The purpose is to avoid registration of stolen vehicles. All license agencies offer this service and many, but not all, new car dealers do also, so call ahead to be sure. Ask for the service department at the car dealers.

The inspection of your vehicle will verify the make, model, body type, and manufacturer's serial number or vehicle identification number. You will be given the completed inspection form.

This takes about five minutes. There is a $3.50 fee to the dealer or license agency and a $1.50 fee to be collected at your next stop, the auto title office.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

All they do is walk out and look at the vin plate and walk back inside. It's usually a secretary from the BMV office and they really don't care much.

BTW, Check out www.dayton-fbody.com
Old 08-07-2006, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gillbot
All they do is walk out and look at the vin plate and walk back inside. It's usually a secretary from the BMV office and they really don't care much.

BTW, Check out www.dayton-fbody.com
Thank's, I checked the website out. Seems pretty cool. I just don't know if I want to move. I love it here in Vegas, but I hate it at the same time. I moved out here when I was 14. Plus my wife has never been back east and I don't know if she would like it. She hates the cold. When it's in the 80's here she complains and covers up in a blanket. She grew up on the west coast though.

My daughter is going to be a sophmore this year and it's going to probably get to her as well. I don't know how she'd do out there. She gets straight A's but the schools suck out here. They seem like 2 years behind in thier cirriculm and she would have to learn Ohio history and have to catch up a little probably, plus all the little things that they do different.

My son is 11 and him and I would be the only ones it wouldn't really bother. Vegas isn't really a place to raise a family, but as they get older it gets better for them.

I hear about a lot of crime back there as well. I don't know if it's just certain area's or not. There's a couple of houses we're looking at. A couple in Troy and a couple in Piqua. There was a couple on Park Ave. Then a few out by were 25a meets 75 on the north side of Piqua. The ones in Troy were in the sw area and a couple in the nw area. All were on the outskirts/boarderline country except the ones on Park Ave.

Who knows, we'll see. We are going to do it by Oct. if we do it at all.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:16 PM
11 Second Club

Anything in Troy/Piqua is nearly no crime. Downtown Dayton and Cincinatti can be bad though, moreso Cincy.

I live in Huber Heights which is like 2 towns south of Troy and I have no problems here. I can leave my cars/house unlocked and nobody will bother it.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I bought my car last year. Went clear to Green Bay brought it back home and all they did was walk out and verify the VIN number and then walked back inside. As far as I know troy is a good place. Good luck with your decision I know it isn't going to be easy.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
I hear about a lot of crime back there as well. I don't know if it's just certain area's or not. There's a couple of houses we're looking at. A couple in Troy and a couple in Piqua. There was a couple on Park Ave. Then a few out by were 25a meets 75 on the north side of Piqua. The ones in Troy were in the sw area and a couple in the nw area. All were on the outskirts/boarderline country except the ones on Park Ave.

Who knows, we'll see. We are going to do it by Oct. if we do it at all.
I live in piqua now, and crime isnt bad at all.
i live around where 25a meets 75 where your talking about.
there is a bunch of new houses going up around that area back off the road a ways in the springcreek subdivision.
what type of house or budget are you looking at, ive been looking at getting a house so i could point you in some kind of direction on what areas to look.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
I live in piqua now, and crime isnt bad at all.
i live around where 25a meets 75 where your talking about.
there is a bunch of new houses going up around that area back off the road a ways in the springcreek subdivision.
what type of house or budget are you looking at, ive been looking at getting a house so i could point you in some kind of direction on what areas to look.
We were going to try to find a place on the ouskirts/country. We don't want to go over about 225k. I've been back a group of times and know the area quite well. We were looking in the area your at. Quite a few are up on Park Ave or where Sunset turns into 185 on the back side of the golf course. I would like to stay by the Echo Lake area if we can't find anything on the outskirts. Pretty much all of my Dad's family is there and my Mom's family lives in Covington. My Grandma lives on Covington Ave, but they used to have the place on Hemm rd by the tracks with the huge lake, that Mike Hemm bought back from my grandfather in the late 80's. I think Mike is a judge now or something.

I don't know how long you've lived there, but you might even know some of my family. Since I've lived here I don't talk much to them, because it just sucks and it makes me miss them. They're so far away and all the stories are the same when I do talk anyway. But when I go back on vacations or whatever it's like I never left.

Anyway, it's still a big maybe. My other half is still having a hard time grasping it. I do think she would like it there though.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Could try to get yourself some collector license plates; then you are exempt from emission testing.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm
Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

The only place that still ha emissions testing is the cleveland area.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
We were going to try to find a place on the ouskirts/country. We don't want to go over about 225k. I've been back a group of times and know the area quite well. We were looking in the area your at. Quite a few are up on Park Ave or where Sunset turns into 185 on the back side of the golf course. I would like to stay by the Echo Lake area if we can't find anything on the outskirts. Pretty much all of my Dad's family is there and my Mom's family lives in Covington. My Grandma lives on Covington Ave, but they used to have the place on Hemm rd by the tracks with the huge lake, that Mike Hemm bought back from my grandfather in the late 80's. I think Mike is a judge now or something.

I don't know how long you've lived there, but you might even know some of my family. Since I've lived here I don't talk much to them, because it just sucks and it makes me miss them. They're so far away and all the stories are the same when I do talk anyway. But when I go back on vacations or whatever it's like I never left.

Anyway, it's still a big maybe. My other half is still having a hard time grasping it. I do think she would like it there though.
$225k can go along way around here, you should know that if youve been around here. just hard finding one in that price range since the median is probably 160k. plenty land out in the area to, so you could always build a sweet house. good luck in your decision
ive just moved to piqua in the last year, but lived in greenville before that, so im closer to work, whats your occupation might be able to point on what places to look for work.
piqua/troy would be allot slower then vegas, id think less crime too
they also have some private schools that i hear have a decent criculum like troy christain and laymen highschool. Id say troy has a better public shool then piqua, but just from what ive heard as i didnt go to them.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Could try to get yourself some collector license plates; then you are exempt from emission testing.

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registra...tor_plates.htm
Thats what we did, since the Camaro and Firebird have been discontinued.

Quick Reply: Ohio inspections?