Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

? on collector insurance...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on collector insurance...

Not sure what forum this should belong in, so I figured my regional forum would be good.

I've got a '93 Firehawk that I rarely drive, usually 2-3 times a month, and have only put less than 1000 miles on it this year, and was wondering if this car would qualify for any collector car insurance. I checked one site and said the car must be 15 years or older, does anybody know of any insurers that would insure this car as a collector, or what are your experiences with collector car insurance...any help useful....thanks!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

at the very least you should be able to get a reduction in your premiums for driving it "for pleasure" - instead of driving it the national average of 12,000 miles/year... and in the winter months, you can put storage insurance on it... will be very inexpensive. Are you trying to get MORE coverage for the replacement of your car based on it's collector status? That's kind of hard to prove and most regular auto insurance carriers probably wont be able to work with you..
Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

You can get "show car" insurance. There is a local insurance broker here Ill have to look up what the name is.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by savethelinoleum
at the very least you should be able to get a reduction in your premiums for driving it "for pleasure" - instead of driving it the national average of 12,000 miles/year... and in the winter months, you can put storage insurance on it... will be very inexpensive. Are you trying to get MORE coverage for the replacement of your car based on it's collector status? That's kind of hard to prove and most regular auto insurance carriers probably wont be able to work with you..

My insurance doesnt have anything with driving the car "for pleasure" so i'm looking into collector car insurance, which is basically just that. I've heard of some people that use specialty insurance carriers, which all they cover is collector cars. In the winter months, I do have storage insurance on it, which is only 90 bucks a year or so for me, so in reality about 45 bucks for the 6 months its in storage. Its for the other 6 months that i'm looking to pay a little less than what my insurance provider is charging me.