Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

snow+RWD??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with G-body, RWD is more likely to get squirelly, but it's easier to control. Back when I had my supra I loved being able to adjust the angle of the car going through a corner just by feathering the throttle to bring the rear end around. Switching to my VW GTI was a pain. FWD with a good amount of torque just plain sucks. Understeering sucks cause unless you manage to grab traction somewhere, once you start to push, you're going in a straight line, regardless of what you do.

FWD/understeer < RWD/oversteer
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove my 98 Formula last winter with some Blizzak WS-40s on it and about 75lbs of salt in the trunk, it was pretty bearable.I picked up a beater this year though cuz I just couldn't stand seeing my baby all covered in salt spray.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You work in Lincolnwood? Wow. Wereabout? I've only seen two other people on here that even live in my town. I didn't think anybody on this site worked in this small town.

I was an AMF mechanic among other things at that shitty bowling alley, Sy's Lanes. I stopped working there a year ago. I worked at the bowling alley in Morton Grove also up until a month ago. Im always passing through Lincolnwood.
Im trying to get a job at that pep boys right down the block from there as an installer, so Ill still be in that area most likely. We should go for a cruise when the weather breaks.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanknuglet
I was an AMF mechanic among other things at that shitty bowling alley, Sy's Lanes. I stopped working there a year ago. I worked at the bowling alley in Morton Grove also up until a month ago. Im always passing through Lincolnwood.
Im trying to get a job at that pep boys right down the block from there as an installer, so Ill still be in that area most likely. We should go for a cruise when the weather breaks.

I pass by the Morton Grove bowling alley almost every day on my way home.

I used to go to that Pep Boys on Touhy in Skokie all the time, but these days I usually hit the Murray's in Niles instead.

I can't wait to start thinking about cruising again. The Camaro is still fast asleep.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove a 5spd 4.10 geared 5.0 for three winters in a row, it sucked with the worn out Z tires then with all weathers it was barable. Just get good tires, hope you dont live in the city cause those parralel spots are abitch to get in and out of in the snow.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ibanez7
budget yourself properly.

buy an affordable ls1 after this winter but budget yourself for a fwd pos for next winter.

I drive and race autox. No matter how good you drive in the winter, f-body cars get stuck easy, slide easy and can barely make it up hills. Its not worth the frustration or the chance or spinning out or worse another driver hitting the ls1 car you love..

In fact today I saw three stuck lt1/ls1 f-bods and 1 that couldnt get up a hill. Sucks for them, where as mine is warm in the garage, while I drive a 4x4 rodeo that I scored for $1500
I use to have a 4wd rodeo and ive driven blazers, 1500s, f150s, bravadas, everything and the rodeo was the best in the snow.. i had the 3.2 i heard the 4cyls were a pos
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather drive a RWD car in the snow (with snow tires) than FWD... at least w/RWD you can steer w/the gas or w/the steering wheel (or brakes) ... haven't had any issues w/my FWD winter car... but RWD car with snow tires and weight over the rear tires is just great imho
Old 02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i drove mine all last winter and had no problems, u just have to be carefull.... but who knows, ur not use to the snow
Old 02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Teching In

My .02...
Having lived in Buffalo nearly all my life, and having had 3 f-bod's and numerous other rear drive cars, I can tell you that RWD Fbody's in the snow can be mucho fun, *IF* you have snow tires. Without them, forget it! And don't make the mistake thinking all season radials will be ok in a pinch. They will be nearly as bad as performance summer tires on these cars. Most cars can get away with all seasons unless you're dealing with feet of snow, our cars really can't. If you're looking for an F-body + reliability and you have snow to deal with, either get snow tires or get a different car. There have been way too many stories on here lately about people wiping out their rides -sliding off the road... personally, my car isn't leaving the garage unless the roads are dry right now. Even wet, cold roads make my all season's a little too unpredictable. (the 4.10's help with that too I'm sure)
Old 02-14-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I pass by the Morton Grove bowling alley almost every day on my way home.

I used to go to that Pep Boys on Touhy in Skokie all the time, but these days I usually hit the Murray's in Niles instead.

I can't wait to start thinking about cruising again. The Camaro is still fast asleep.
You wouldn't be talking about Niles, MI would you?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
You wouldn't be talking about Niles, MI would you?
Nope, never been there. We have a Niles here in IL too, it's just north of Chicago.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

I think my GN may have been harder to drive in the snow, I think it may have been b/c of the high stall. The Z is still a pain in the butt.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My lowered C5 (with marginal rear tires) tends to get stuck with anything over ~1 inch of snow.

When you are going up a hill and the rear wants to go left/right versus forward/backward, you've got issues.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Get the ls1 car you want. And get a 500 dollar beater for the winter.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah you could drive anything, when your going 20mph lol

But a fwd car is going to be better in my mind, if you need to scoot along and get some quick.....
Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
I use to have a 4wd rodeo and ive driven blazers, 1500s, f150s, bravadas, everything and the rodeo was the best in the snow.. i had the 3.2 i heard the 4cyls were a pos

the rodeo is definitely good in the snow. fun too.

I was offroading in the snow and packed the a-arms with so much snow, the steering wheels started to shake!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

it just comes down to this.

yes most of us have driven rwd in the snow and even with f-bods or vettes too. Yes its possible to drive in the snow, you just have to know how to do it.

However if your buying a car to put money into and make either faster or nicer, its not worth taking the chance of ruining it. A car is your worst investment you will most likely never get the money back, it purely for fun as a hobbiest.

Driving in the winter will ruin a nice car:
salt eats away at everything, why ruin the new headers your just bought, ceramic coating will only protect for so long.
why take a chance of ditching the car. Our cars get loose on dry pavement, damn!
why take the chance of being it by someone else.

For most of my life i've drove RWD sports cars in the winter, and now I'm thankful to have a 4x4 its a world of differnce.

Its nice knowing I wont be stuck in a parking lot or have to deal with hoping to make it up a hill or around a turn. Plus I know my z28 stays nice, shiny and warm in the garage!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

i drove my iroc all last winter with bald tires and i've drove my TA all this winter and knock on wood i haven't got stuck yet. just be smart when your driving and you'll be fine in a rwd

Quick Reply: snow+RWD??