Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

ms3 cam What heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ms3 cam What heads?

I have an ms3 I believe if my memory serves me right (.603 .609, 238 242 on a 112) I need to replace my lifters b/c I was an idiot and didnt do it in the first place. So I figured I would do a headswap as well. I have been reading into different heads and I didnt realize how much information there was to take into account when picking them out. I was wondering if anybody could inform me on some tried and true heads that are matched up for an ms3, rather than me just going blindly and buying a set in the dark. So If anyone has any info for me I'd really appreciate it. Also does anyone know how much a head can be milled w/ my cam before I would have serious issues w/ my valves? lol haha and evey why I would want to get it milled.

I probably sound like an idiot ..lol but I really dont know, and I am interested in learning. Rather than just doing what someone says I would like to know the reason's behind it. I read most of the heads sticky and this is where I realized how much info there really was to take into account. Chamber size, intake runner... etc. it is all chinese to me... lol

thanks for any info guys!!!!!
-Andrew

p.s. I also posted this in the internal engine section... lol but seems like everytime I ask a question there, no one ever answers.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

One factor to bear in mind with a cam like that, performance cylinder heads typically are milled and have larger valves. Cylinder head with 2.080" intake valve milled to 59cc, you may have insuffient or no PTV clearance

Unless your looking at some ETP, AFR heads etc.

Patriot makes a 243 head, CNC ported with dual spring pkg. uses stock LS2 valves. 64cc these heads run $1095 pair

Thats what I would run in your setup.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

why would you use 64cc's as opposed to like 59's? or any other number for that matter. what kind of numbers would that head flow. I read that flow at .600 is virtually meaningless. what would a good number be at .200 to .300?

thanks for the info! btw, I ordered some blockoff plates from you guys on wednesday, haha they were priced kind of high ..lol but you had them and I got them the next day.... very good service!!! Im going to your open house. I had a blast last year and I think its great what you guys do!

Also... where are those heads listed for 1095? they are listed for 1295 on your site. Why wouldnt you recommend stage 3's... because of ptv clearances? thanks

Last edited by nd4spd22; 03-30-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

It would be a tight fit with 59cc, Stage III heads I don't think would clear with MS3 cam. They have large intake valve.

I've had Patriot mill these .010" on occasion, they didn't charge extra

that would yield a 62.5cc chamber

These heads arn't listed on our site, email me or call patriot if you need more info on them.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try talking to someone from Texas-Speed. If I remember, they have heads that are designed to work hand in hand with the MS3 and MS4 cams

Quick Reply: ms3 cam What heads?