Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

DITY move Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default DITY move Questions

Moving from Jax, FL to San Diego, CA.

Was Wondering what you guys recommended for the long haul. I dont have a ton of furniture. A 10' - 16' Truck would be more than enough.

My main concern is finding A good truck rental that has A trailer capable of Towing my Camaro. Im not so sure Im willing to run a Dolly... The car is lowered and has Center mount exhaust.

What do you guys recommend?

Uhaul quoted me at 1,800ish for 10 Days.

Budget quoted me at 1,500ish for 9 days.

I DEF do not want anything MoGas.. Deisel only.. Right??

Thanks guys!!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just called Budget truck rentals.. It seems thier fleet is nicer and newer than Uhauls..

$150 back when I return the truck.. and my quote was $1,284 before Tax.

Customer support rocked and 20% military discount.. Not to mention with military ID they will wave the "No one Under 24."

Always looking for better if anyone has anything to share.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try using penke...i got a truck for 7days for $580. I only moved from New Mexico, to Nevada.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Launching!

either budget or uhual will be fine. your going to get the money back so who cares what you spend. but if you get a car trailer you wont get remburised for that. atleast not in the air force but who cares.

what you need to worry about is how much your weight limit is and get as close as possible to that weight. you will make money if you do it right. i made an extra 2000 dollars when i did my dity move. if you want some tips on how to do it pm me and ill hook you up.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went from Ft Gordon to Ft Belvoir and cost me 864.00 for the 24' from Uhaul. I loaded it with 13,000 pounds and towed my 16' trailer with the Z06 on it with no problems.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
either budget or uhual will be fine. your going to get the money back so who cares what you spend. but if you get a car trailer you wont get remburised for that. atleast not in the air force but who cares.

what you need to worry about is how much your weight limit is and get as close as possible to that weight. you will make money if you do it right. i made an extra 2000 dollars when i did my dity move. if you want some tips on how to do it pm me and ill hook you up.
You won't get the money back for the U-haul bill on a DITY, you only get paid for the weight you carry. Either way, it will pay for the U-haul or whatever carrier you choose so it doesn't hurt to do your homework and find the best price so you can get more money back in your pocket when you file your voucher. Max out your weight allowance on a DITY! Doesn't matter if you go overweight on a DITY, you just don't get paid for the weight that's over your allowance.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Regular

LOL, mogas. It's a civilian truck so you can say gasoline if you want. Sorry, had to.

Most certainly want diesel...but the mpg still sucks. With a 26' truck I averaged 7-8 mpg. Then again, it did maintain 70 mph very well.

When I did the shopping around for my dity move Penske had the best deal. Figured what the hell and paid the like $100 for no deductible coverage on minor stuff. I barely made it 5 miles down the road before a rock hit the damn windshield so that paid for itself.

If you get the biggest truck there is a lot of room inside. I easily hauled all my stuff, my 2,000 pound toolbox, and just about enough parts to make another vehicle.

Quick Reply: DITY move Questions