Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Minimum height waiver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimum height waiver?

My wife is thinking about joining the AF so I took her to the local recruiter. She meets every qualification except that she is 57.5 inches, putting her 1/2 an inch below the minimum. I've looked all over the internet to find someone that has gotten a waiver for this but it seems that the people who have gotten it are unreachable by now. I know its up to the MEPS doctor to approved or disapprove someone to join, but for the recruiters that are here, have you seen people who don't meet the minimum height requirement get approved at MEPS?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

read through this, you might find something helpful... looks like there is a waiver. where ever it is and what ever job she's looking for i don't see why 1/2 an inch will really matter.

http://www.afforums.com/forums/archi...php/t-614.html
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Launching!

Yes on of my soldiers was 4'9". She got a height waiver. This was back in 1998.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info, she went to the base gym and they measured her at 4'10" and some change. They said she should be good to go.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear she got in, but she could still get denied at MEPS during basic training in processing. Its the final check to ensure they didn't miss anything.

For all the waiver pursuers...

Requirements are set for a reason. Many people merely look at the surface and say "what a stupid rule" and sometimes maybe true. Other times no so much.

The job is partially important, but most importantly is minor variables...equipment, tasks, gear, uniforms etc are all designed around an average person with some deviation.

If you are too small or too big, they may not make a uniform that will fit you, a flak vest, a gask mask, PPE...tons of other variables. Despite being a "XX", you can still be deployed and carry a weapon.

The best advice anyone can get regarding waivers, is ask the recruiter. If they say no, than no.

The Air Force is not begging for people. They can really pick and choose who they want these days. It's not like it was in the 90s...heck not even 5 years ago. People are coming to us, not the other way around.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Launching!

We had a girl in my sister flight in 98 that was 4'61/2" At that time, they were saying that 4'6" even was the min height to come in the AF. I'm 5'9" and i was the second shortest guy in the flight. crazy.

Quick Reply: Minimum height waiver?