Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Sacrificed to the greater good...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sacrificed to the greater good...

Had this in the LT1 section but the vid probably is better suited this one...

Been a while since I've posted any new updates. We've just finished a couple other turbo kit prototypes and are finally getting back to the LT1. Good news is the kit is about to be tested to it's maximum potential. Not so good news is that after a year of 500+ hp and 20k+ miles, we put the stock engine down in a blaze of glory this weekend.

About a month ago, I removed the intercooler and put in a peice of pipe while I repaired a weld on one of the tanks. Got a little crazy with 11psi non-intercooled on pumpgas and finally hurt it. Atleast enough to smoke pretty good out of te oil fill hole. No biggie, I've been planning a rebuild anyway. As we prepare to assemble the new engine, some how I talked my wife into letting me sacrifice that poor LT1 on the dyno.

First pull gave us 480/522 on 93 octane pumpgas and about 9psi. This is how I've driven it on the street for the last year (between 7-9psi) with the exception of the cutout being open. With a suprisingly powerful pull for a hurt engine, we decided to try to take the days dyno shootout trophey in the modded GM class.

I can't remember the exact order of the pulls but armed with hurt stock internals, a boost controller, and a cryo kit bottle full of the N20, we went after it. We were trying to beat a big block chevy with a 250 shot. He put down 558/720 something. With the same 93 gas, we made another pass with the n20 spraying through my intercooler and that netted us 530something/604tq! KICKASS! MOOOO BOOST everyone yells so here comes an attempt at 13psi with no cryo. This got us 490/530 on pumpgas and a prayer. Tried this again with more spray through the intercooler. That got us to 552/608!

Damn it, 6 more horsepower. The LT1 was PISSED after that. We decided to try it again and see what happened. This time it put down 530 something/629 tq! WOW, massive torque. We were going to try it one more time but she gave up the ghost and wouldn't start. For the hellabit, and to save a trip to get the trailer, we shot some more nitrous into the turbo and that got it enough bang despite NO compression to get it to turn over. Smoking like a freight train, we drove it 20 miles home and parked it getting it ready for the rebuild! Never did score the trophey... 6 lousy stinking horsepower.

But this does give us the opportunity to see what this kit will support. We ran a year with many 250+ mile drives including one 900 mile round trip with a 470/484 pumpgas/114 mix dyno in the middle of that trip at street boost. I beleive she would be alive except for that non-intercooled 11psi on pumpgas. But we've got other plans. Now we'll see what it will do on a engine designed for what we are going to do to it

I've got a 27meg vid of the action above is someone wants to host it. I'll get a website up one of these days.

http://www.fakeleg.com/videos/Speed.wmv
Old 10-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Sacrificed to the greater good...

Got a little crazy with 11psi non-intercooled on pumpgas and finally hurt it. Atleast enough to smoke pretty good out of te oil fill hole.

Some how I talked my wife into letting me sacrifice that poor LT1 on the dyno.

First pull gave us 480/522 on 93 octane pumpgas and about 9psi.

I can't remember the exact order of the pulls but armed with hurt stock internals, a boost controller, and a cryo kit bottle full of the N20.

We were trying to beat a big block chevy with a 250 shot.

With the same 93 gas, we made another pass with the n20 spraying through my intercooler and that netted us 530something/604tq!

Here comes an attempt at 13psi with no cryo. This got us 490/530 on pumpgas and a prayer.

Tried this again with more spray through the intercooler. That got us to 552/608!

The LT1 was PISSED after that.

hahahahahah ROFL, I can see why the motor was so PISSED hahahahaha
Old 10-08-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Sacrificed to the greater good...

nice power man!!