Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

2004 GTO Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GTO Project

After selling my last street bike I picked up a 2004 GTO project car to romp the track a streets with.

*UPDATES April 2015*
Engine
TSP 233/239 112 LSA Cam
Dual Valve Springs, Titanium retainers
Ported LS6 oil pump
LS7 lifters
LS2 lifter trays
Lifter Trunnion bearing upgrade
ARP crank pulley bolt
Canton Racing 3QT Accusump
Improved Racing oil pan baffle
Pacesetter long tube headers w/ extenders
SLP LM2 exhaust w/resonator delete
Solid engine mounts
K&N Intake
MSD 8.5mm plug wires
Fiberglass wire protectors
OEM coil pack replacement
510 Racing tune, 397whp 383tq

Suspension
BC ER Series Coilovers
Shane Whalley Cut knuckles and tie rod ends
Shane Whalley Adjustable tubular front arms
Hotchkis swaybars
Whiteline rear camber bushings
Aftermarket rear toe links

Drivetrain
Aftermarket clutch slave cylinder
Six Puck clutch
Driveshaft Shop 4″ aluminum 1 piece drive shaft
ARP extended studs
Welded differential

Brakes
Dimpled and slotted front brake rotors
Steel braided brake lines
Ceramic painted calipers
Hawk front brake pads

Interior
NRG 2.5 quick relase with 350mm leather wheel
Autopower 4 pt cage
Bimarco Grip racing seat (driver) w/ 5pt harness
Sparco racing seat (passenger) w/ 5pt harness
AEM AFR gauge
Autometer oil pressure gauge

Exterior
Kosei K1 wheels
Plastidipped OEM wheels
20mm spacers on the front
Rockey Bunny style rear spoiler
Sideways Vinyl graphics

Definitely a work in progress. Bought it with a terrible missfire, went to swap out the plugs and found out half of them were loose. Replaced plugs and wires and the power was much better up top, but the missfiring stuck around intermittently. Took it to get it tuned after replacing the Spintech exhaust in case the preious owner's tune was bad. It turned out the tune was pretty iffy, but the problem was in the ignition. After the tune I replaced all 8 coils and the missfire is gone.

The stock 2 piece driveshaft carrier was toast so I replaced it with a 4" aluminum one from driveshaftshop.com. Went ahead and replaced the leaking pinion seal while I was in there.

Plans are to track the car and see what I like. I'm taking it to a drift event this Sunday and hope to hit up a road course event soon.

Before the oil pan baffle

After the Improved Racing baffle

The pan baffle install was a PITA!

Engine bay before cleaning and intake

After

Interior shot

4 point cage

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 04-15-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

interesting, did you buy the goat with the interior gutted out? i imagine you must have got a decent price with all the problems you stated.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Yeah, the previous owner gutted the car for road course, but never finished the project. It was pretty rough so I did get it for a decent price.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice! That should be a fun track car.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Had a ton of fun at the track last Sunday. The GTO performed really well, didn't touch a tool the entire day. Stayed on the track 10am to 5pm with only breaks for lunch and sitting in line. Awesome!

Just ordered some BC ER coilovers and Hotchkis swaybars will probably come after that. The chassis isn't too bad for drifting, it's already got a good powerplant and it is stable in a drift. Really just needs suspension and steering work. The steering doesn't get much angle and is quite slow, and the body roll needs to be taken care of.

Here's some of my footage from the event

Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

really nice gto
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

badass goat...idk about that wing though
Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool GTO how much does it weigh with it being gutted? Dont see to many GTO drifting. Idk about the wing. Maybe if it had some GT class style body kit to support it? & not a fan of stickers.. but that's just me. To each their own!

Old 11-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!

Haha, the car isn't going for classy. Had someone ask if I had a bench seat back there! I like it, but I know a lot of people don't.

I'd guess with the interior removed and the 4pt cage added it would probably be around 3500lbs...I think curb weight is like 3750lbs? Just got finished pressure washing the underside of the car to clean up the old grease and grime from the leaking pinion seal. Everything seems to be in good shape after closer inspection after the drift event. Definitely impressed with the GTO's chassis.

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 12-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Nice to see a goat on something other than a drag strip. Building a track car is something I'd like to do, but just haven't got the funds to build two cars. Not to fond of the stickers, but to each their own.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Awesome project, good luck with it. My friend Mark has an 04 drift GTO, can't wait for next season. I was amazed at how cheap 04 GTO's have become when I was looking for my WS6.

I vote spoiler delete! Did you put the decals on or is that from the previous owner?

Chris,
Old 12-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

You can't have a drift car without a wing, it's against the rules!
I actually would like to get taller risers for the wing if anything. Good enough for now though.

I put the graphics on since I have a vinyl business. A new vinyl scheme is in the works...we just threw these graphics on one day because we could.

The BC coilovers came in from overseas finally! Hopefully I can get some pics this weekend if I get some time.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Got the BC ER Series coilovers installed and signed up for another drift event March 22nd!

The install went pretty smooth outside of the learning curve for the GTO’s rear suspension and thinking we weren’t sent the front swaybar endlinks (found them in the last box). Went ahead and reused the aftermarket upper shock front bushings that had been installed when the Eibach lowering springs were put on last time. BC supplied new bearings and endlinks for the front coilovers.

The rear suspension was a pain in the ***. Not BC’s fault, just the weird separate shock/spring setup. Had to fight with the rear spring and ended up getting a spring compressor and leveraging the things out. Made things more difficult for ourselves when we were chasing a ride height issue. Had the e-brake locked and transmission in gear, which caused the back end to sit higher than normal on the lowest ride height setting. We discovered it dropped about 2 inches when we took it for a test drive. Yay.

Initial feel is stiffer than the Eibach springs with stock shocks. Much less squat on acceleration and braking. Can’t wait to see what it does on the track in less than a month!

Also fixed the slow coolant leak by replacing the lower radiator hose GM no longer makes. Got a Gates one, but it had to be trimmed to size.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Well the GTO will drift!

I finally got to try out my coilovers March 22, 2014 at Fabricated Motorsports Round 1 at Gulf Greyhound Park south of Houston. This marked the GTO's second drift event, and first event of 2014.

We arrived around 8am and unloaded the rented UHaul trailer. Tech at 8:30 and drivers meeting at 9, and then off to drift for the rest of the day! And I literally drifted the car all day with only breaks to cool me and the car down and lunch.

Right off the bat I could tell a difference in the suspension. The coilovers kept the car much more level and under control. But it wasn't until one of the instructors, Derrick, got a hold of the car and tuned the coilovers for me. Then it was a world of difference, stiffened up the compression which made the rebound less bouncy.

Other interesting notes, the car probably needs a new differential since the stock LSD isn't spinning both wheels equally. Welded differential time! If I plan on continuing drifting the GTO it would also benefit from a power steering cooler, a proper alignment, and a hydraulic ebrake. The stock ebrake is almost ineffective at high speeds, but was useful on the small track.

I managed to complete the small track a few times without spinning or horribly understeering - big improvement from my first event! That might have also been achieved by my lower tire pressures overall (34 psi front hot, 44 psi rear hot on Federal 595s).

In the last hour of the event as the sun was going down I got enough confidence (and frustration with the small technical track) to try the larger main track. Drifting at speed is a much different animal. Instead of 2nd gear entries I was entering in 3rd gear with clutch kicking to initiate rather than just weight shift. As expected I lost the drift and spun most runs. I have two or three runs that I didn't spin on the big left hand sweeper and drifted a bit around the second right hand corner to the switchback left finish.

With the second drift event under the GTO's belt I am confident this car can become a true drift car rather than hoping it can just powerslide around some curves. Next on the list is some cut knuckes from professional GTO drifter Shane Whalley. Good things to come.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Teching In

After the drift event I decided it was time for more drift mods.

I visited a friend's shop in Ft. Worth TX and had my spare differential welded. Removed the knuckles to be sent off to Shane cutting and shortening for more steering angle. Installed ARP extended studs all the way around as well as put in the Whiteline adjustable caster radius rod bushing.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

I think that wing looks badass!! Not too obnoxious and tall and perfectly functional! Awesome build dude
Old 04-13-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't believe I'm the first to say it but..
Where have you been my whole life haha jk

On a serious note, the car is bad ***. Also love how you kept it purpose built for drifting. Keep up the great work:
Old 04-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!

I've enjoyed drifting the car a lot more than I thought I would. I did the Skyline engine swapped S13 240sx drift car thing and it was enjoyable, but there is something nice about not having to deal with the woes of an engine swapped car.

The GTO is sadly quite heavy, but other than that I have been able to get a round a lot of it's issues like limited steering angle and alignment non-adjustability. Now that I've managed to find some drifting specific aftermarket for the car I'm seeing more potential.

There is a lot of hate for drifting a "domestic", but the truth is it is much more fun than autocross and much cheaper and more accessible than road racing. Drag racing has it's merits, but give me curves over straight line any day!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Oh and good news...

I bought a cam (plus some other goodies). 243 heads are on the way as soon as some good ones come up on craigslist. Talking with Canton Racing now to see about an Accusump setup.

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 04-21-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Some big updates....

Working on a 3QT Accusump install from Canton Racing and will be posting more detailed photos and video once I get farther in the project. Jeff at Canton Racing has been super helpful answering my setup questions, don't hesitate to contact them for your oiling and filter setups.

I received my cut knuckles and tie rod ends from Shane Whalley and got them mostly installed this last weekend. The caliper paint came out pretty nice too.

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a cam from Texas Speed. Decided on a 233/239 .595"/.603" cam, dual valve springs, LS7 lifters, ported LS6 oil pump, ARP harmonic balancer bolt, and the trunion lifter bearing upgrade.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO Project