Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

How to break in a new motor....beat on it

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to break in a new motor....beat on it

It was a beautiful day so I decided to take the bird out for a ride in mexico. Most of the pulls were in 3rd or 4th at a lazy 3k rpm hit. I was granny shifting (and not double clutching like I should) but I wasn't looking to kill myself. The last one was in second at around 3500. I got some light tire spin on the hit but I'm still amazed these old MT DR's still hook up. I drove about 40 miles all around town (mostly highway) but no one wanted to play . The meth is off for now and I'm still on the old dyno tune. A/F at WOT looks pretty good (11.5-11.8) once it gets rolling. Its rich off the hit and at idle so there is some work to be done. Once everything is broken in (~500 miles), I will take it for the retune and see what she does. Click on the link to watch it in HD.

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 06-15-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Car sounds damn good.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds real good! What numbers are you expecting?

Off-Topic: Is that a GoPro? If so, what do you use to minimize wind noise? I get horrible wind noise with anything above 35mph
Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Car sounds damn good.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
Sounds real good! What numbers are you expecting?

Off-Topic: Is that a GoPro? If so, what do you use to minimize wind noise? I get horrible wind noise with anything above 35mph
Thanks! The car made over 700rwhp last time around. I went with a slightly more aggressive cam and the piston rings should seal up this time (issues with previous build). I upgraded the valvetrain so honestly anything beyond where I was would be good with me. This is not an all out setup but I want something I can drive around town lugging the motor at 1500rpm while also doing what you see in the video (and a few trips to the track each year).

I am using a GoPro Hero3. The mount got shaky when I added on a few extensions so that kind of sucked. Make sure you used the closed case if the camera is outside the car. The open case will capture a lot of wind.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam thats tight in the garage next to other car u climb in dukes of hazzard style? lol.
car sounds fantastic
Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JDEP162
dam thats tight in the garage next to other car u climb in dukes of hazzard style? lol.
car sounds fantastic
Thanks! Actually I have an oversized two car garage but I managed to park both cars closer to the middle for whatever reason. With the top down, it was easy to slip in without having to move both cars.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap in an LSx they said.....The LT1 can't be fast they said....

Love this car, way to support the ol LT1!

Quick Reply: How to break in a new motor....beat on it