Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

lets c sts video!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lets c sts video!!!

lets watch and hear them!!!!!cmon people post them up!!!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Damn i thought u have one
Old 10-23-2004, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

If your refering to the STS Turbo systems (which i do not approve of) videos then...go to their website.
http://www.ststurbo.com

Also

http://www.jlturbo.com/eyecandy.htm

Has pictures and videos....

Last edited by 97'RS6-BucketTurd; 10-23-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey i'm starting not to care about what people say about the sts i like it...
and it is cheaper bareing all the engine realignments...
Old 10-23-2004, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1TA
hey i'm starting not to care about what people say about the sts i like it...
and it is cheaper bareing all the engine realignments...
why do you guys hate them i install them on cars and i havn't seen a prob yet...so far its only the people who don't have them say bad things about them...so i was jus wondering whats your guys opinion
Old 10-23-2004, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badazzhawk
why do you guys hate them i install them on cars and i havn't seen a prob yet...so far its only the people who don't have them say bad things about them...so i was jus wondering whats your guys opinion
<****>WARNING: PERSONAL OPINIONS AHEAD<****>
**Before anyone gets sand in their vaginas: No, I am not challenging the integrity of the people who do/did make, build, sponsor or otherwise support this product. I am merely questioning the design of this product.**

For several reasons, i do not approve of their system.

As obviously talented mechanics, they must be aware of these defect possibilities and just might make the systems for easy profit.
(can't blame them )
If the above lines make you mad at me: Again, read the first few lines of my post.

Straight-up quote from their site:"Mounting the turbo system remotely has several key advantages, including increased performance, better gas mileage and a short install time."

*sigh* Only 1 thing is right in that statement: Short install time.

"Improved performance"
Over stock, yes. Compared to under-hood systems, Not exactly.

"Better gas milage"
ugh? how is this possible when it requires more revs to bring up boost with all those monster tubes? Your not moving water, your moving air...and it compresses just in case some people didn't know that. If you don't understand what i mean, try my experiment in #1.

This is from a post from loooong ago that i did when i saw this system:
I see a few problems here: http://www.jlturbo.com/eyecandy.htm (pictures i'm talking about are on this site)

1) Turbo lag...if u don't understand why i say this then perform a fun experiment. Take a paper towel roll and hold one side to your mouth and one side flat against your hand, sealing it, now blow into it and notice how much air you have to push into the tube for the air to become of reasonable compression. Now this time cut it in 1/2 and repeat. If you notice, it's easier to build pressure with the smaller tube, than it is the larger tube.

What did that BS mean? It means that the larger/longer the tube = the more trouble your going to have building up pressure. Which as you know, that ability is what makes the turbo so effective.

Keep in mind that's not accounting for the temperature of the the intake charge. Cool intake charge = more air volume. Hot intake charge = Less air volume.

Yes you could cool the intake charge with an intercooler. But, you still have that long tube of warm/hot air running from the rear of the vehicle all the way up to the front of the vehicle that your trying to compress. And well, putting an intercooler in the rear of the vehicle would make no sense in this situation because the air would heat back up by the time it got to the front of the vehicle. And, your not going to get very good air flow across the intercooler at the under-side of the rear of the vehicle lol....

Now, i dunno about everyone else, but having to revv the **** out of my engine to get boost up isn't exactly something i'm personally intrested in.

2) All that extra piping. If your worried about weight and ground clearance then i don't believe this is going to help.

3) What happens when it rains or snows? I see no shielding to protect from mud and such things. And what happens when that turbo uses that intake tube as a big *** straw? Now u have a wonderful, large, turbo system u have to remove, dry out and repair, not to mention engine repairs.

4) If u notice in the picture where it has the 1 - 2 chrome tip in the middle of the picture. If u look off to the left in front of the left-rear tire u notice how low the intake tubing is. It's lower than mid-tire. Can we say speed bump disaster? or worse?
**Yes, i'm sure you can get it up under the car, but come now, who the hell wants to cut and weld pipe 30 times over to do that? And besides, the multiple curves in the pipe will restrict air-flow in an already hard-to-build-pressure system**

5) Really hot turbo next to the gas tank...?

6)**From what i've seen in their videos** It makes your Camaro or T/A sound like a SEMI putting on it's jake-brake. (like a throaty Import fart cannon ) And i know you guys are picky about the way your F-body sounds.
**Again: Yes i'm sure different applications will sound different but because of the placement of the turbo and it's short after-turbo exhaust tube it's going to be hard to get away from that SEMI Jake-break/farting-like sound**

I love the idea, but since there are so many possibilities for malfunction and disaster i'd personally have to pass on this system when comparing it to other turbo systems/supercharger systems.

It costs the same as a system that fits nicely in the engine bay.
Under-hood systems weigh less, and are most-likely able to meet, or surpass the performance of this monstrocity (as in, large in size) of a turbo system. I could only see my self putting this system on a budget, only good weather, trailer queen drag racer where the extra weight in the rear would be a plus. Or for some extra *umph* in that weekend only driver.
No, i'm not out to kill their buisness or anything but as a consumer i'm going to review the product my-self and want the best product for my money. When compared to other products on the market this one ***IMO*** is not as good and doesn't have any features that i have seen which make this a supirior product. (except for fast install time, but that should *never* over-rule the abilities and over-all structual quality of a product)

Laugh at me and call me stupid but that's my take on it.
Now, I could be completely wrong with all of this "scientific and common sense" stuff and these systems could completely haul *** and own with high psi and blahdy-blah-blah.

Also, if you are going to contradict, prove me wrong, or "argue" anything i have said please do so in a sensable-human like fashion like i did. Thanks

Last edited by 97'RS6-BucketTurd; 10-23-2004 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Yea great job commenting on the kit, BUT WHERES THE VIDEOS! People always turn posts around like this...
Old 10-23-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how mcuh do those systems cost?
Old 10-23-2004, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95maroman
Yea great job commenting on the kit, BUT WHERES THE VIDEOS! People always turn posts around like this...
Same links as above...

Top of the page there's 4 videos.
3 LS1 engine videos and 1 LT1 video.

http://www.ststurbo.com/camaro_sound_and_video
Various Camaro videos here and at the very bottom there's a link for two different T/A videos.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevyzz8
how mcuh do those systems cost?
All of these prices were taking from their website.
http://www.ststurbo.com/products
For LT1 engine applications the price for stage 1 is $3,795.
LS1 is roughly $4,000.
And for upgrades and such, the sky is the limit in the way of pricing, for basic upgrades on the system including: better turbo, boost controller, better BOV, Tuning, and FMU/Fuel pump upgrade will get you to $5,700 for an LT1 and about $6,000 for an LS1. And with a few more options in just gauges alone you can be up to roughly $6,500(LT1) and $6,700(LS1).

That's not counting taxes and other unseen charges. As you can see it will get extremely expensive in a hurry. Then again all systems are like that, hell car stuff in general is like that.
So pretty much like everything else, the better you wanna be the higher the price.

Last edited by 97'RS6-BucketTurd; 10-23-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=97'RS6-BucketTurd
"Better gas milage"
ugh? how is this possible when it requires more revs to bring up boost with all those monster tubes? Your not moving water, your moving air...and it compresses just in case some people didn't know that. If you don't understand what i mean, try my experiment in #1.

QUOTE]

I agree with some of your points , and I like a "Normal" turbo setup better also, but when talking about gas milage, who is trying to make boost, and reving the engine when they are trying to get good gas milage, regardless what type of system it is?
Old 10-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
**Before anyone gets sand in their vaginas: No, I am not challenging the integrity of the people who do/did make, build, sponsor or otherwise support this product. I am merely questioning the design of this product.**

For several reasons, i do not approve of their system.

As obviously talented mechanics, they must be aware of these defect possibilities and just might make the systems for easy profit.
(can't blame them )
If the above lines make you mad at me: Again, read the first few lines of my post.

Straight-up quote from their site:"Mounting the turbo system remotely has several key advantages, including increased performance, better gas mileage and a short install time."

*sigh* Only 1 thing is right in that statement: Short install time.

"Improved performance"
Over stock, yes. Compared to under-hood systems, Not exactly.

"Better gas milage"

This is from a post from loooong ago that i did when i saw this system:
I see a few problems here: http://www.jlturbo.com/eyecandy.htm (pictures i'm talking about are on this site)

1) Turbo lag...if u don't understand why i say this then perform a fun experiment. Take a paper towel roll and hold one side to your mouth and one side flat against your hand, sealing it, now blow into it and notice how much air you have to push into the tube for the air to become of reasonable compression. Now this time cut it in 1/2 and repeat. If you notice, it's easier to build pressure with the smaller tube, than it is the larger tube.

What did that BS mean? It means that the larger/longer the tube = the more trouble your going to have building up pressure. Which as you know, that ability is what makes the turbo so effective.

Keep in mind that's not accounting for the temperature of the the intake charge. Cool intake charge = more air volume. Hot intake charge = Less air volume.

Yes you could cool the intake charge with an intercooler. But, you still have that long tube of warm/hot air running from the rear of the vehicle all the way up to the front of the vehicle that your trying to compress. And well, putting an intercooler in the rear of the vehicle would make no sense in this situation because the air would heat back up by the time it got to the front of the vehicle. And, your not going to get very good air flow across the intercooler at the under-side of the rear of the vehicle lol....

Now, i dunno about everyone else, but having to revv the **** out of my engine to get boost up isn't exactly something i'm personally intrested in.

2) All that extra piping. If your worried about weight and ground clearance then i don't believe this is going to help.

3) What happens when it rains or snows? I see no shielding to protect from mud and such things. And what happens when that turbo uses that intake tube as a big *** straw? Now u have a wonderful, large, turbo system u have to remove, dry out and repair, not to mention engine repairs.

4) If u notice in the picture where it has the 1 - 2 chrome tip in the middle of the picture. If u look off to the left in front of the left-rear tire u notice how low the intake tubing is. It's lower than mid-tire. Can we say speed bump disaster? or worse?
**Yes, i'm sure you can get it up under the car, but come now, who the hell wants to cut and weld pipe 30 times over to do that? And besides, the multiple curves in the pipe will restrict air-flow in an already hard-to-build-pressure system**

5) Really hot turbo next to the gas tank...?

6)**From what i've seen in their videos** It makes your Camaro or T/A sound like a SEMI putting on it's jake-brake. (like a throaty Import fart cannon ) And i know you guys are picky about the way your F-body sounds.
**Again: Yes i'm sure different applications will sound different but because of the placement of the turbo and it's short after-turbo exhaust tube it's going to be hard to get away from that SEMI Jake-break/farting-like sound**

I love the idea, but since there are so many possibilities for malfunction and disaster i'd personally have to pass on this system when comparing it to other turbo systems/supercharger systems.

It costs the same as a system that fits nicely in the engine bay.
Under-hood systems weigh less, and are most-likely able to meet, or surpass the performance of this monstrocity (as in, large in size) of a turbo system. I could only see my self putting this system on a budget, only good weather, trailer queen drag racer where the extra weight in the rear would be a plus. Or for some extra *umph* in that weekend only driver.
No, i'm not out to kill their buisness or anything but as a consumer i'm going to review the product my-self and want the best product for my money. When compared to other products on the market this one ***IMO*** is not as good and doesn't have any features that i have seen which make this a supirior product. (except for fast install time, but that should *never* over-rule the abilities and over-all structual quality of a product)

Laugh at me and call me stupid but that's my take on it.
Now, I could be completely wrong with all of this "scientific and common sense" stuff and these systems could completely haul *** and own with high psi and blahdy-blah-blah.

Also, if you are going to contradict, prove me wrong, or "argue" anything i have said please do so in a sensable-human like fashion like i did. Thanks

before you start posting nonsense like this, get some real life info. have you ever had the system on your car? no, can you tell anything about the system from experiance? no. just STFU and go troll on some other boards.

havnt seen anyone unhappy with the system (turbo system for $3,500 !!!!!). hell, i installed the system in my friends car. the car runs great, alot better then what he would have to pay for a S/C system. we also did his fuel system and installed a nice intercooler in the front of the car. im soo impressed with the system, that ill probly be getting one soon.

Last edited by koniu77; 10-23-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by koniu77
before you start posting nonsense like this, get some real life info. have you ever had the system on your car? no, can you tell anything about the system from experiance? no. just STFU and go troll on some other boards.

havnt seen anyone unhappy with the system (turbo system for $3,500 !!!!!). hell, i installed the system in my friends car. the car runs great, alot better then what he would have to pay for a S/C system. we also did his fuel system and installed a nice intercooler in the front of the car. im soo impressed with the system, that ill probly be getting one soon.

Ok.....Obviously your not capable of reading material and fully comprehending what is said.

This was at the TOP OF MY POST.

No where in there did i say it was a horrible piece of **** and should never be made and no one should buy it and for the price it's a heap of **** blah blah blah...I said NOTHING like that.

Also, another example of how incapable you are of reading and fully comprehending what you have read.

i said: "Also, if you are going to contradict, prove me wrong, or "argue" anything i have said please do so in a sensable-human like fashion like i did. Thanks "

Now, Correct me if i'm wrong but "just STFU and go troll on some other boards." isn't being a sensable human being.

Come now, i don't know how old you are but to properly respond to someone on a damn forum cannot be that hard, i've seen it done hundreds of times.

Also, to cover this AGAIN for the 10th time:
"<****>WARNING: PERSONAL OPINIONS AHEAD<****>"
Does that look familiar? No. It doesn't to you because you obviously didn't read it and/or understand it.
What i posted was merely a PERSONAL OPINION based on what i have seen from the pictures, videos and what i know about this sort of product. It was an unbiased review of the product and based on what i have seen, the set up does not stand out as some extraordinary piece of mechanical engineering that should be showered with praises.

It was merely posted to show people who are of lesser understanding, or that don't know much about the specifics and *POSSIBLE* down-sides to the product. Also to show them that you will be getting what you pay for, and that there are better systems out there.

Ok? I hope that cleared it up for you and you managed to calm down and your next reply will be of the "sensable human" type.

Last edited by 97'RS6-BucketTurd; 10-23-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well..........

i would like to say that i agree with everything that was said by 97***, except for the jake brake thing. as a truck driver myself, jake brakes sound a lot better, and can scare little kids and old people........lol & j/k. otherwise, very nicely put. i have said the very same thing to others i know, and believe it whole heartedly. the data is out there as to what it takes to make a turbo work at peek performance, and the facts are pretty simple to understand. will this kit make more power? obviously it will. however, compare it to a kit with the same size tubing, turbo, intercooler, and boost level, and all other variables being the same, and put the two cars side by side. there will be no debating after the conventional turbo setup spools up faster and therefor leaves harder and proves its superiority!!!

now that's my opinion for the most part, but facts are facts and i will not be buying this turbo system. no offense intended. if someone wants to be a crybaby like the last guy and say something offensive, save it!! most of the board members have a broader vocabulary, and for those who do, post your opinions too. that's what this thread is about, or at least it is now.........LOL....sorry chiws6.

my $.o2.

thanks,
Dave
Old 10-24-2004, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2crzy4u
well..........

i would like to say that i agree with everything that was said by 97***, except for the jake brake thing. as a truck driver myself, jake brakes sound a lot better, and can scare little kids and old people........lol & j/k. otherwise, very nicely put. i have said the very same thing to others i know, and believe it whole heartedly. the data is out there as to what it takes to make a turbo work at peek performance, and the facts are pretty simple to understand. will this kit make more power? obviously it will. however, compare it to a kit with the same size tubing, turbo, intercooler, and boost level, and all other variables being the same, and put the two cars side by side. there will be no debating after the conventional turbo setup spools up faster and therefor leaves harder and proves its superiority!!!

now that's my opinion for the most part, but facts are facts and i will not be buying this turbo system. no offense intended. if someone wants to be a crybaby like the last guy and say something offensive, save it!! most of the board members have a broader vocabulary, and for those who do, post your opinions too. that's what this thread is about, or at least it is now.........LOL....sorry chiws6.

my $.o2.

thanks,
Dave
Thank you!! ^^^^^^Example of a Sensible human being^^^^^

And...."i would like to say that i agree with everything that was said by 97***, except for the jake brake thing. as a truck driver myself, jake brakes sound a lot better, and can scare little kids and old people........lol & j/k."

Great! That's the same reason why i like a loud car....To scare children and old people.

But, i did post links to the videos and didn't break out the big guns till i was asked what my opinion was, and then! I was bashed for MY *OPINION*.

Which reminds me, RPM about your gas mileage question, i may be wrong about this. But when compared to an under-hood system (not a stock vehicle), due to the larger tubes and probability that it takes higher rpms to produce boost with this system than with an under-hood designs.

Yes that sounds like the same thing i said before but let's try to look at it this way.
Lets draw attention to how efficiently each turbo is capable of producing boost and relate that to how efficiently each of them can *technically* help gas mileage.
Let's say we have the STS system here...Now, because of the larger tubing the turbo requires more exhaust pressure to be as efficient as an under-hood system. Which means the engine is doing more work in it's own, and not as much of the work is being helped along by the turbo it's self.

To make this very simple....here's a shitty chart i have drawn with good ol' ms-paint. The "cars" are placed as an example of the distance they woul have to travel before the turbo becomes an active 'helper' to the engine.
Attached Thumbnails lets c sts video!!!-cheapchart.jpg  
Old 10-24-2004, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now watch somebody say it doesn't matter because the STS equipped car is in the lead in your diagram......

later,
Dave
Old 10-24-2004, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2crzy4u
now watch somebody say it doesn't matter because the STS equipped car is in the lead in your diagram......

later,
Dave
LMAO yeah i tried to be painfully clear to prevent that. Let's just cross our fingers Dave and hope for the best.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doing the experiment you stated would not work. Because you dont have unlimited breath. Engines have unlimited breath. Once the motor is running, you wont have the pressure buildup problem. If there is, its soo miniscule you wont even notice it. Thats speakin from a scientific point of view. The other parts you mentioned, about revving the **** out of the motor, no, they spool at 2500-3000. Gas mileage wont increase, it looks ugly, and the air filter speedbump diasaster are true. But your scientific experiment is off
Old 10-24-2004, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't know this thread was called "STS turbo debate."
Old 10-24-2004, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baddogz28
I didn't know this thread was called "STS turbo debate."
now thats funny bro. ALL BECAUSE OF ME!!!!! all i said was where r the turbo videos!!!