Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Pics of Blue Devil Getting some air @ Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of Blue Devil Getting some air @ Nurburgring

Thought this was pretty cool . Too bad the article is in German http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...6853968-1.html
Old 07-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Wow I didnt even know corvettes could get air!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the article, it seems it's just a regular C6 Z06, not the "blue devil" that is the underground supercar killer GM is trying to make. What a bad-*** car this is!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you read towards the bottom, it is just a regular Z06. Heh, I say that lightly.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Thats pretty sweet. That track is brutal
Old 07-25-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's insane. I wonder on which "version" of Nurburgring that was accomplished.

Josh
Old 07-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Chop-Foo Director

It's in danish, not german
Old 07-26-2005, 07:15 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...threadid=40683
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...436#post939436

Article translated:

Thought this would be interesting to you all.
Scanned from a recent issue of "Bilmagasinet" - danish car mag.
Interview with Jan Magnussen about (among other things) his record lap at NBR.
Here´s a translation:

[Top pic, Magnussen and Vette:]
Thursday morning, Southern Germany. General Motors have discreetly rented the legendary german Nürburgring track for an hour between 7 and 8 in the morning.
The temperature is more comfortable than at Le Mans, and the track is empty apart from a couple of early rising spy photographers.
It takes more than a blue Vette to exite them - they recognize it, it´s the Z06 version, the brutal Vette with 500 BHP. What they do not know, is that it´s Jan Magnussen behind the wheel.
The objective is to beat Walther Rörhl´s laptime in a Porsce GT3 RS - it´s 7:43,0 min for the 20,8 km heavily varied track with 73 corners.
The record was set in 2004 in a standard version of the Porsche.

[Splash in middle]
Jan made 7:42,9 thereby beating the Porsche GT3 RS by 0,1 sec.

[Two lower photos]
"The photo is taken at Flugplatz. I´m going 240-250 km/h at full throttle in 4th gear and the car is actually jumping twice: After the first jump it lands so hard that it takes off again, as you can see in the second picture. As it lands the second time I have to take a sharp right immediately after.
The car is a standard car with street setup - had it been my racer it would hardly have left the tarmac. At NBR the street car reaches 295 km/h on the long straight in 5th gear (6th gear is an overgear for saving gasoline). At NBR there are no run-off areas like other tracks,. You simply have to stay on the track. When you are halfway around the 20 km, you think it´s a good thing there are only half as many places left you risk running off the track" Jan says.

[About the track and the car]
"The stree Corbette has virtually no grip compared to my race car which has a large rear spoiler. But it does have almost as many BHPs as my Le Mans racer and is almost as fast. The rev limiter sets in at 7000 rpms, and it does have more than 500 BHPs.
It´s fast.At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap inbetween for both mine and the car´s sake.
I couldn´t have driven one single lap more. I wouldn´t have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes.

As many folks know. Its common to get air at the Flugplatz section of the Nordschleife, even for full-on race cars. Flugplatz translated is "airfield".

See Article Here

I thought this was a good quote:
Originally posted by RC45
Well - this picture is great.

If Jan got enough speed to get serious air coming up into Flugplatz, he had a reason fro going so fast through there.

Jan is an old hand at the Ring, and knows what areas he can get speed out of a car, and what areas are offlimits for stupidty/bravery because of what follows.

He seems to have carried huge speed down towards Quiddelbacher - and then kept that, feeling brave enough to carry the speed up into Flugplatz - even though he KNOWS you catch air coming over that tabletop jump (not unlike MotoX ).

Interesting that he chose to go so wild there... maybe because the car was not that well behaved down the run around Schewedenkreuz towards Aremberg.

I wonder how badly thr car responded to another highspeed "underpants-staining"section - the "FoxHole" - it's flatout, ***** to the wall ending in a suspension bottoming , tyre wrenching left-hand uphill sweeper - that instantly has you sweeping blind round a flat right hander.

Could it be that Jan knew the car would be deadly through that combo - and took his chances at a flat out entry onto Flugpatz, rather than a take no prisoners into Fuchsrorh - being a little more conservative and living to tell the tale. (BTW - the Ring claimed a couple of multiple-100 lap veterans lives over the last 2 months - so even the best die on the Green Hell)

I would also like to know how out of kilter the Z06 got coming down the Planzgarten complex.

In my simple amateur analysis of Ring laps and times, if you are going so fast as to catch 145mph+ air through Flugpatz, you might be doing similar hair-raising stunts at a couple other spots (coming through Tiergarten is always a test of will, bravery, and highspeed car manners)in your pursuit of a theoretical sub 7m40s time...

Unless the car cannot sustain the onslaught of negotiating these other named hellish complexes.

This goes back to some of my very first comments when the lap time was shared with me the day it happened - I tried describing the time as being either a "We did this time and the car is an awesome machine" time - or it will be a "my God - we did this time, but mere mortals will die trying to emulate it" time.

BTW - most cars fall into the second category

p.s. I will spell, grammar and content check this post when I get back in town 2morrow
Old 07-26-2005, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

That thing has more hops than MJ
Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

OMG !!!

peace
Old 07-26-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

and whats unbelievable is that its just a regular Z06.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

OUCH!!! my heart hurts...thats is sweet *** vette
Old 07-28-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats on the long version of the track, nice pics.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:50 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Thats on the long version of the track, nice pics.
There is only one version , the GP track is for woosies
Old 07-31-2005, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Bounce, bounce, bounce....
Old 07-31-2005, 08:18 AM
roy
TECH Resident

And for a little clarification ,despite what the article says that is not the Flugplatz. That is the Quiddelbacher Hoehe, the flug platz is just after that.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Must Be Nice
Old 07-31-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by roy
There is only one version , the GP track is for woosies
Is there not a 14 mile long track, then a small 1 or 2 mile track right below it?

Old 08-01-2005, 04:02 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I know what your talking about , Iwas just giving you a little razz.
A little history of the ring . The Nuerburg Ring consisted of the Nordschleife and the Sudschleife. The N-ring was built between 1927-1934. The lower portion of the track that you see is the defunct Sudschleife (closed some during the mid 70's). That map is very old. The smaller Grand Prix track was built at that time. This GP Track is often confused as the Nuerburgring. It is not . It is the Nuerburgring GP Circuit. The Nordschleife is will always be known as the Nuerburgring.
Here is a a picture of the GP circuit.

here is a map of the Nordschleife and the gp circuit combined. btw schleife stands for loop.

Here is a topography map to actually grasp why this track is so fascinating to me and a millions of auto enthusiests everywhere.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Roy, have you taken the SS to the ring?