New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General LS engine question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General LS engine question

I have been trying to research the answer to this, and I can't find it...

In the LS powered cars I have been in/driven, when you hit full throttle you get this wall of power, and then a very linear sort of feel up to red line..

Now in turbo charged cars, or smaller displacement engined car you can get that mean whip up to the top. That feeling you see, of ever increasing power until somewhere near redline..Granted its not as much power generally under the curve to the top, etc. But the feeling, I love that feeling. I am a turbo fiend, and the feeling is what motivates me. However I have decided on a project where I will not be able to turbo charge the LS, it wont fit real nice at all.

Can I somehow replicate that feeling in a NA LS powered car, or is it pretty much not possible?
Just to clarify, I don't mean to say, can I make a LS powered car feel like a turbo charged car without a turbo..

What I mean is to get the engine to have that real peaky power feeling. Make the LS engine like a race like, twitchy engine.. Similar to the way a BMW S54 engine behaves. Where the engine is just begging you to take her to redline and reward you up top for it.. maybe a good cam would do that? I really have no experience with LS engine besides a few vettes and GTO's my friends have let me drive.

I think I could squeeze a supercharger in. WOuld a centrifugal type charger give me that feeling I am after?

WEll, thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me, hope the question makes sense.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some worked 5.3 heads, and a 224 or 228 cam and you will have power all over the power band. While it is true the LS motors really pull up top, the midrange and low end is great even in stock form. If you throw a huge cam in it, like an ms4 or anything higher than a 234+ it will have most of its power up top. Drive one and you will see.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH, Yes you can there are so many different combinations you can go w/the LS-1 you will have to do some research to find out what would work for you in the LS-1 internal/external section.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:33 AM

I think you're referring to the BMW N54. That's a twin-turbo I6 motor, so it's power band is very different from your NA V8.

Last edited by emarkd; 11-23-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

A huge cam will give you that bigger power up top, along with a centrifugal supercharger im sure you will have plenty of power up top.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by emarkd
I think you're referring to the BMW N54. That's a twin-turbo I6 motor, so it's power band is very different from your NA V8.
The S54, its the e46 M3 engine, NA, straight 6- you know how the thing goes, more and more exciting to redline. Its a pretty sweet engine,, but not enough torque for that heavy e46 chassis imo.

Originally Posted by 99345hp
A huge cam will give you that bigger power up top, along with a centrifugal supercharger im sure you will have plenty of power up top.
Thanks alot guys for all your comments. Sounds like the project will be a go then.