New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009 | 05:15 PM

Exclamation Need help

Last week I noticed that behind my right rear tire grease was leaking from the axel seal so I had it changed by a local shop. When I get the car back I noticed that the car was vibrating. I also noticed that when I turn the sterring wheel and roll that the car shakes from the rear. I took it back and he said that maybe the e-brake was getting stuck. He tested the car by rolling back and fourth it did not do it when the sterring wheel was straight.It only does it when I turn. He wants to take apart the diff cause he believes that the gears might be stripped. HELP ME PLEASE!
Old 03-28-2009 | 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

I am going to guess that the rear was not put back together right from when he changed the axle seal.
It sounds like the diff is locked(not letting the wheels spin at different speed through turns).
Does the car vibrate all the time or just when turning?
Old 03-28-2009 | 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ws98ta
I am going to guess that the rear was not put back together right from when he changed the axle seal.
It sounds like the diff is locked(not letting the wheels spin at different speed through turns).
Does the car vibrate all the time or just when turning?
only when turning.
Old 03-28-2009 | 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

its pretty hard to say what is wrong, but it sounds like something isn't right inside the differencial. It is pretty hard to screw up anything in putting these differentials together though.

EDIT: Did he put friction modifier in with the gear oil when he filled it up?
Old 03-28-2009 | 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 99345hp
its pretty hard to say what is wrong, but it sounds like something isn't right inside the differencial. It is pretty hard to screw up anything in putting these differentials together though.

EDIT: Did he put friction modifier in with the gear oil when he filled it up?
like what synthetic gear oil?
Old 03-29-2009 | 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

No, friction modifier is an additive to help the clutches in the posi slip when going through corners. Usually when you replace the fluid and its not added the rear will make noise. I have never heard of it actually causing it to lock. It wouldn't hurt to try putting a bottle in. You can get it at napa for about $5. Put it in and see if it helps. If not time to pull the cover.

Or look at the plus side and now you have a full spool!

FWIW I would ask in the gears and axle section might get some more response.