Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging problem CANNOT figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging problem CANNOT figure it out

this is on dads ls1.. If you jump start it with another car it will start and run and show 14 volts at the alternator and 14 volts at the battery but when you disconnect the other car from it, it only shows 13 volts and it will run's intell you turn on the lights or any other power draw occurs, then it will not start back up without hooking the jumper cables back up.

have had alternator checked twice and it has tested good both times
also battery is brand new.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Anyone??
Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

first obvious question is who "tested" it? it may be putting out 14 volts but 0.0001 amps, which will do absolutely nothing. if you have an inductive ammeter or amp clamp, put it around the alternator cable and see how much current is flowing. if not, find somebody who does or if you have an Advance Auto Parts around you, they can test it in the car. usually they're pretty good
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93c4black
this is on dads ls1.. If you jump start it with another car it will start and run and show 14 volts at the alternator and 14 volts at the battery but when you disconnect the other car from it, it only shows 13 volts and it will run's intell you turn on the lights or any other power draw occurs, then it will not start back up without hooking the jumper cables back up.

have had alternator checked twice and it has tested good both times
also battery is brand new.
I feel for you man...I hate dealing with the old is it the alt? is it the battery? scenario...

Even though the battery is new,I would have it checked to see if it is holding it's charge.Besides,it's free at most parts stores like AZ.

Then I would check all wiring (safely of course) to check for any damage wires,terminals,loose terminals...etc.

Also I have heard of people that have had questionable alarm installs or sound system installs having this problem.Something from the install might start slowly draining the battery as the car sits.Never experienced that personally but have known others who have..

Good luck and if you get the problem fixed,please post up what the problem was so others might benefit when doing searches...thanks and good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Teching In

I agree with both post. You need to make sure that the car is not only putting out voltage, but amperage also. Even though the battery is new, I've seen new ones bad. The battery should be test loaded with half the CCA's of the battery and if drops below 9.6 volts loaded for like 10 seconds it's no good.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Teching In

take the battery to advance auto and have them check it then u can elimanate one of ur problems sounds like the alternator though
Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Make sure you haven't kinked/fried/cut the wiring to the alternator.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandotron
Make sure you haven't kinked/fried/cut the wiring to the alternator.
That's riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...There is a real delicate little wire connected to the alt that you have to be very careful with when replacing the alt.

Definately check that out...