Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUEL PROBLEMS, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL PROBLEMS, need advice

Its a 98 Trans AM, I ran out of gas a few months ago and burned up my fuel pump.. replaced the fuel filter first which didnt make a difference so i replaced the fuel pump.. it started right up after a few turns. After the car started running smootly again I got on it a little bit, about 3/4 throttle, it bogged down and started running at idle speed till it built pressure again, so i drove with the fuel pump for a few weeks and it did this every time. Oh and with the new fuel pump it always took 2 turns to startup.

I figured it was a bad fuel pump so I returned it and got a new one. Installed the new one and now the car wont even start, there is no fuel pressure now. I pulled the pump out and let it squirt some gas into a bucket, i could **** harder than the gas coming out. The fuel pumps i used are ACdelco. So now im lost? Someone said maybe i installed my fuel filter backwards? i dont rememeber if thats was possible but I did it at night with a flash light in a parking lot so it could be? Any suggestions? Thanks, Kelley
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not possible to put the filter in backwards. Unless the lines have been modified. Are you replacing just the pump or the entire sending unit with pump?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
Not possible to put the filter in backwards. Unless the lines have been modified. Are you replacing just the pump or the entire sending unit with pump?

Yea thats what i was thinking, Im replacing the whole unit
Old 04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fuel pressure regulator is in with the sending unit. So that might be your problem. Or when you pull it out of the tank check to see if the hose from the pump to the top of the sending unit isn't slipping off. I just put dual fuel pumps in and I had to send the entire sending unit to LPA so I ordered a bran new unit from ebay for $120, If you can wait for it this will be the cheapest. This was a denso unit. Don't go to gm they will rape you for $800 for the sending unit/pump.
Also if you go ebay, make sure you get one that is for the ls1 5.7l z28/ss dont buy a "one size fits all" the plugs on the top aren't the same.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Teching In

The hoses are on there pretty good, I bought the unit off ebay for $160.. its made for my car, i think ACdelco is the oem? does it sound like the fuel pump might be bad?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you bought the whole thing like this, http://mycarpics.shutterfly.com/244?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

yes its exactly like that, im going home to indiana this weekend to work on it.. what would you suggest I check? and should the pump have more pressure than what I described? i aimed the pump into a bucket while priming it and fuel was coming out with very slow, about as hard as someone would take a ****.. shouldnt it be coming out harder than that?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

here is a link to the fuel pump I bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kelley004
yes its exactly like that, im going home to indiana this weekend to work on it.. what would you suggest I check? and should the pump have more pressure than what I described? i aimed the pump into a bucket while priming it and fuel was coming out with very slow, about as hard as someone would take a ****.. shouldnt it be coming out harder than that?
I would think so since you are supposed to have about 55 psi of fuel pressure...
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

What he said^^^ you should have 55 psi at idle. Was there any kind of warrenty with the ebay seller? The one I got from ebay had a 1 year.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

If its not wired right or the wiring is bad will that cause the fuel pump to not pump as hard?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Well I went home for the weekend hopeing to get my car out of the garage, I installed the new fuel pump.. engine turns but still no start and no fuel pressure so I installed a new fuel filter.. same thing, when I ran the car out of gas could I ove maybe clogged my fuel lines? The car was sitting in a pole barn for over a year before I purchased it..
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
What he said^^^ you should have 55 psi at idle. Was there any kind of warrenty with the ebay seller? The one I got from ebay had a 1 year.
58 actually.........
Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I went home for the weekend hopeing to get my car out of the garage, I installed the new fuel pump.. engine turns but still no start and no fuel pressure so I installed a new fuel filter.. same thing, when I ran the car out of gas could I ove maybe clogged my fuel lines? The car was sitting in a pole barn for over a year before I purchased it..
So the car is still not working? With the bag on the fuel pump and the in line filter that would hard to clog a line any further then the filter. Have you tried to turn the key on with a ohm meter on the pump harness to see how many volts you have. On my 2000 its a grey wire that is the hot wire.

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
58 actually.........
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Yea I was thinking that too, Ill check that this weekend.. do you know how many volts your suppose to have?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea I was thinking that too, Ill check that this weekend.. do you know how many volts your suppose to have?
I'm going to say 12v.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

does anyone else have any ideas what it could be?? I just replaced the fuel filter again and still no pressure