Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent No-Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent No-Start Problem

OK, I wanst sure where to post this. I could really use some help! (wheres my gun?)

I started the 98 Formula up yesterday, as I was leaving the house the car died.
-It cranks but does not start.
-Fuel pressure checks fine during cranking.
-I have spark because I can spray carb cleaner into the TB and if fires right up, for a second. I have to assume the injectors are not pulsing.
-The security light is OFF when cranking.
-I swapped relays and fuses for injectors, fuel pump, and ignition as well. No help.

(Can the crank position sensor fail for the injectors, but not the spark control? Knowing it runs on carb cleaner tells me spark signal has to be fine)
Could it simply be the PCM injector drivers died?

This happened a month ago, but it when it happened before the car didnt die on me, it just wouldnt start one day. Tested all I could, it magically started up the next morning and ran fine for over a month.........

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any codes? sounds more like a fuel problem than a spark problem, what is your fuel pressure reading? At crank as well as run position?
Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Fuel pressure is 58 when the pump primes, and stays there when I crank. It clearly has to be the injectors not firing.. just dont know how to figure out why without getting it towed somewhere
Old 07-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Well, I found a shop that will come to you and scan the car for 50 bux. Pretty sweet being the dealer wants 100 just for a scan.. whatever. (and Id have to have it towed).

Dealer and the mech. both think it sounds like the ecm.. guess Ill find out soon.

One thing I did forget to mention, right after the car first died, when I turned the key to the on position my tach and speedo were going haywire and I could hear some relays clicking like crazy in what sounded like the dash/center column area.

Thanks,
Jer
Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Default F me... per usual

Yep.. my gut didnt let me down.. ECM.

After the scan was giving info intermittently, they guy decided we should pull the harness off the ecm just to peek at it. 3 of the pins in the blue connector are burnt.. one of those pins pulled out with the harness and is stuck in it. Corrosion all about that connector.. Im assuming either the computer shorted internally, or some moisture got in there somehow. Either way, I need a new computer. (Hopefully the connectors will clean up nice, I DO NOT want to have to do a new harness, or have to splice in new connectors.........)
Old 07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

new plug won't be that bad just have to un-pin and re-pin all the wire's good luck
Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Teching In

oof.. is there a special tool for that connector type?
Thanks for the info
Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there is but you can just use a pin

Quick Reply: Intermittent No-Start Problem