New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C and Diff questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Diff questions

Hey guys I just picked up a 98 firebird (thread here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...-firebird.html), which I bought from a buddy of mine for $500, and I have a few questiosn about it..

1. My AC (when I turn it on) is blowing hard, but it's not blowing cold... Do you think it needs to be recharged, or could it be the compressor?

2. If it needs to be recharged, where do I charge it (I see the high side service port, not the low) Unless, what i'm seeing is the low. (Is the port circled in the image the high side?)

3. How much refridgerant does it take? (I've never messed with AC stuff before)

4. I had my oil changed today at my mechanic, and he says that my rear diff seal has a leak...How dangerous is this leak?

5. should it be fixed right away? (the seal leak)

6. If I need to fix it, how easy is it to do?

Um I think that's it for now...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Could be either, but a recharge kit is cheaper and comes with a gauge.
2. I'm at work and can't see the pic.
3. buy a recharge kit with 3-4 cans of refrigerant and 1 can of oil. Use what the kit provides then top off as needed per the gauge. However be prepared for it to leak again. I would get a leak detection kit as well.
4. it depends on how bad the leak is. Check the fluid level and keep it full and the diff should survive.
5. it depends on how bad the leak is. If it soaks down your driveway and you can't keep the diff full you're in trouble.
6. it depends on which seal you're talking about. The cover seal or gasket is replaced when you change the fluid and is a very easy fix. The pinion seal is much more involved and requires some specialty tools.

Um I think that's it for now... J/K
Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Okay, it's not leaking any fluid at all...i mean none (at least I haven't seen any in 5 days) and the fluid is full, and was changed about 27k miles ago.. so I think I should be fine with the seal?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the rear end damp looking. A dark appearance is a sure sign of gear lube leakage. This can be a sign that it's time to change the diff fluid. Some service schedules recommend 12K mile intervals for fluid changes. It's easy to do.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm
Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the differential goes, if it's not leaking onto the ground don't stress over it. Check the fluid level once in a while and it should be fine. I think it's actually rare to see a differential that doesn't seep some gear oil from either the cover or pinion seal.

For the A/C. Buy a can of 134A refrigerant with a gauge on it and follow the directions. I charged my 98 a few years back and I believe the low side is on the little canister thing straight up from the circled part in the picture. As I recall, the fitting will only fit on the low side so it's pretty much idiot proof. No insult intended.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

yes the low side is indeed on the accumalator the little canister looking thing.

Quick Reply: A/C and Diff questions