Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Enable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
.W.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Enable?

First an apology. I don't know where to go for help on this one so this might not be the right place to ask this.

My father-in-law has a 2002 Z06 that used to run, but he hasn't been able to move the car for a few months now.

We have the original keys and the car starts just fine.
If we leave it parked it continues to run but if the car is put in gear and moves more than a few feet the engine shuts off.
Right after that, the car will still crank but, again, if you put it in gear and try to move it, the car shuts off.

Does this seem like a VATS or security issue? We just put a new battery in it, but it was exhibiting the same behavior before the old battery died.

The local dealership has not been able to fix this either.

Thanks for any help anyone can lend. I can provide details if you need something specific.

If I'm in the wrong area, please point me in the right direction, I'm new at this Corvette thing.

.W.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VATS issue it should not even crank so I doubt it. Just what my car did when MAF crapped but I assume they would have read codes and figured that out. The GM Tech II they use is a great tool but only as good as the tech who uses it. Find a reputable LSx shop to check it out as dealers often don't know WTF they are doing as many on here will tell you....
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 219 Likes on 169 Posts

Is the car showing any codes?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealership couldn't fix it? Probably had the oil change kid working on it.

But yes, get a scanner and check for codes. Then stream the data to find out what's happening. I can't imagine the PCM would take away spark on all 8 cylinders under those conditions, so I would check the fueling.

This might be as simple as an intermittent ground that is good when the car is idling in neutral, and breaks when the engine twists slightly under load.

It is 100% NOT a security issue because the car starts.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it idle low when in neutral or park? It could be dying when a load is put on it (going into drive). If you hold the gas down a little while it is running in neutral and then shift in drive will it stay running? Also, my old 98 Grand AM would do exactly what you are describing and it ended up being ground wires on the trans bolt that were breaking when you would go into any gear. How many miles on it?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Does it idle low when in neutral or park? It could be dying when a load is put on it (going into drive). If you hold the gas down a little while it is running in neutral and then shift in drive will it stay running?
It's a Z06..they are ALL factory M6.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha my bad. When he said "If we leave parked" I assumed it was an auto.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Default water in fuel???

that sounds familiar with my ford ranger. check for water in the fuel tank should should look alittle like mt. dew, sorta haha if im wrong fuel should be clear of course how it could gotten in there (if im right) somtimes if you go get gas at a gas station and the tanker is refilling the station the new fuel will stir up the sediment (water) therefore youll get some amount of water in your tank, or maybe you pissed someone off, but i doubt that theory. haha. im just throwing that out because it sounds like the same problem my ranger had. itll crank start up, try to move it, it dies, start it up again it idles rough try to move it again same thing... yadda yadda. you could run a code test if its the water in the fuel itll throw a lean fuel code. let me know if thats the problem
Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
.W.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'll try to get the codes read, and keep everyone posted on the results.

Does it idle low when in neutral or park?
-It is a standard (manual) so there is no park, but the idle sounds fine in neutral and it still sounds good after it dies and is started again.

VATS issue it should not even crank so I doubt it.
-Thanks, chasing a VATS red herring could have burned a lot of time for a n00b like me.

...or maybe you pissed someone off, but i doubt that theory. haha.
-To tell you the truth, there are a lot of shady characters in this part of town and materials on the property are constantly going up missing...

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. I'll try to get the codes read this week and post.

.W.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by .W.
-To tell you the truth, there are a lot of shady characters in this part of town and materials on the property are constantly going up missing..
That's what guns are for..

Quick Reply: Fuel Enable?