Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Boost?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane Boost?????

Hello everybody ... i Had a question on octane boost.... I have heard it cause's more BAD then good..... Is this true ... because out here in Cali we only Have 91 Octane!!! SUcks ... but oh well ... thanks guys......
Old 01-04-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Most common octane boosters that I'm familiar with will only raise your total octane count by tenths of a point, not full points. At best, you'll maybe see minimal gains. In your case, I don't think it's worth your while and I'd save your money.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

You wont see any gains. period. The most expensive crap I have ever seen is that black bottle of 104. It states on the back that it increaseses octane by 6-8pts. So these kids with these Hondas think that if they start w/ 91 octane that it now is 97-99 octane, wrong! Try 91.6 or 91.8. if your car is stock, even with bolt ons, should not need anything but premium pump in there. Even small amounts of NOS can be done on pump. Dont waste your money or time man.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

The active ingredient in many of those is Xylene or Toluene, and in that little bottle its only about 2.5% of those chemicals, the rest is detergents. Now Xylene is essentially equivalent to 117 Octane Unleaded fuel, except its "dry". The problem is in such small amounts it will barely truly bring up your octane much futher than 10ths of a point.

A trick many Turbobuick guys do (I used to have a Grand National and a Turbo Trans Am) is to take a 1 Gallon can of Xylene or Toluene (available at any Sherwin Williams store for about $7), pour in about an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil for lubrication, and pour it right into your tank... Considering the mixture depending on the amount of fuel you have you'll make about 98 or so octane fuel out of Sunoco Ultra 94 or 93. I used to be able to squeeze out 1-2 more PSI of boost with that to get some HP gains with lower Knock retard.

Now That can be done but I wouldnt do it every tank, as it isnt good for your fuel system... I dont know if anyone does that with their LS1 cars, I mean for all I know it could play havoc with the PCM system, and if you're looking to get HP gains out of it, dont bother. Its used as more of a tuning tool to squeeze a bit more out of your car at the track and give you some protection.

Just FYI my $0.02
Old 01-04-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out this link for someone putting xylene in their LS1

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...m_8.012000.htm
Old 01-04-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

If you want, throw in about 20% toluene and fill up with some nice 94 octane. or hell just throw in sunoco 100.

Be sure to tweak your timing maps to take advantage of it or its mostly useless especially in the winter.

But you can add amazing amounts of timing with alot more octane, safely. Just that you gotta swap back to lower timing when its all said and done
Old 01-04-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itchygomey98
Check out this link for someone putting xylene in their LS1

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...m_8.012000.htm
I didnt think it would help much, you really dont see the KR levels in an LS1 you will see in a turbo car, and therefore the advantage is gone, the only reason to run it in the turbo is because the Boost increase outweighs the loss in power caused by the small amount of KR. And Boost with a lower octane fuel is more likely to cause higher levels of KR.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, just showing that it has been run in LS1's.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
The active ingredient in many of those is Xylene or Toluene, and in that little bottle its only about 2.5% of those chemicals, the rest is detergents. Now Xylene is essentially equivalent to 117 Octane Unleaded fuel, except its "dry". The problem is in such small amounts it will barely truly bring up your octane much futher than 10ths of a point.

A trick many Turbobuick guys do (I used to have a Grand National and a Turbo Trans Am) is to take a 1 Gallon can of Xylene or Toluene (available at any Sherwin Williams store for about $7), pour in about an ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil for lubrication, and pour it right into your tank... Considering the mixture depending on the amount of fuel you have you'll make about 98 or so octane fuel out of Sunoco Ultra 94 or 93. I used to be able to squeeze out 1-2 more PSI of boost with that to get some HP gains with lower Knock retard.

Now That can be done but I wouldnt do it every tank, as it isnt good for your fuel system... I dont know if anyone does that with their LS1 cars, I mean for all I know it could play havoc with the PCM system, and if you're looking to get HP gains out of it, dont bother. Its used as more of a tuning tool to squeeze a bit more out of your car at the track and give you some protection.

Just FYI my $0.02
Yep....Xylene was used back in the 60s by Top Fuel drag racers to boost octane levels. It still works today!

I ran some thru my 00 LS1 with 93 unleaded. It picked up 0.1 in the 1/4 mile. The PCM knew no different and didn't harm anything.

A couple ounces of Xylene mixed with Sta-bil works well for cars in winter storage.

Quick Reply: Octane Boost?????