Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drivetrain clunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drivetrain clunk

Hi once in awile i'll be driving and i push the clutch in and i hear a clunk coming from the rear and also sometimes when i pull it out gear or about to put in another gear i hear and feel it also.Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gutz
Hi once in awile i'll be driving and i push the clutch in and i hear a clunk coming from the rear and also sometimes when i pull it out gear or about to put in another gear i hear and feel it also.Any thoughts?

If you can run outside check your torque arm bushing by eye and try moving the arm itself. Then report back.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Sounds almost like a driveshaft problem. U-joints. I'd check those out.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Ok i went outside and i can't reach or barely see the torque arm without jacking it up.So i'll jack it up on saturday and have a look.What should i be looking for?I take it the bushing is at the front?Should it have movement when igrab it and shake it?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gutz
Ok i went outside and i can't reach or barely see the torque arm without jacking it up.So i'll jack it up on saturday and have a look.What should i be looking for?I take it the bushing is at the front?Should it have movement when igrab it and shake it?
Ok, when you jack it up and see the bushing at the front of the bar(rear of transmission) you will most likely be able to see it is bad. Moving the bar up and down will show you how much play is in it. The tranny mount will also do this "clunk" if broken or worn. I just recently had the same clunk that you speak of. I climbed under my car and saw my torque arm bushing was dry rotted into three pieces and I counld basically throw the bar arond.

Be careful driving, not to much throttle or you'll break thr tranny.