Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Window Problem.....

i have a 00 Z runs good, but the driver side power window is messed up.... it has that auto-down feature and it works, and the window goes down no problem, but when you go to put it back up it doesn't move, at all, but if you wait maybe 20 seconds you can move it a little bit but it will just freeze in one spot about 1/2 way up (different spot each time), but if you leave it alone for a longer time, like 1-2 mins you can open or close the window, but i guess what happens is that you cant use the window too much in a small ammount of time... the passenger window works fine, but the driver one freezes... dont think its the motor becqause its works smooth when it does work, im thinking it might have something to do with the auto-down crap... anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 01-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a bad motor - they have thermal (heat) protection, and there's prob a short in the windings or a slipping clutch.

Auto down is controlled by BCM, and it's only doing what your window switch does - it sends pulses to motor control to power up motor.

Sounds like a replacement motor is needed. But first, do a good lube of the mechanism and all that first before plunking down a few big ones for the new motor, on the case that the thing is 'marginally" bad and taking some load off will give it a few more months of life...

Last edited by emarkay; 01-17-2004 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-2004, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Lubrication is a waste of time, and interior door disassembly, when it comes to this issue. Once the motors get to this point they need to be replaced. Pop in a new one and the problems will go away.

I'm sure someone here has a link to good install instructions....
Old 01-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Teching In

this site has good instructs & pics

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 01-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Teching In

looks like ill be putting in a new motor today. thought it might be the motor but i didnt want to go spend the money if it couldve been something stupid like a switch. thanks for the advice, i appreciate it