New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates man? i just finished my cam install and have a similar whistle to yours, only louder... ill post another thread and a link to the vid once i get around to posting it. did you by chance pull the ac belt yet like others mentioned?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by laux06
any updates man? i just finished my cam install and have a similar whistle to yours, only louder... ill post another thread and a link to the vid once i get around to posting it. did you by chance pull the ac belt yet like others mentioned?
Haven't figured mine out yet. Can't find a vacuum leak anywhere. Haven't pulled the AC belt yet- how about you? Mine does it about 90% of the time but not always which makes it even harder to troubleshoot. The 10% of the time it doesn't do it offers no clues as well, in other words- not temperature related or consistent in any way. Hope you have better luck than me. Keep posting if you don't mind.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

I actually found it man, I've got a weiand intake, and the removable panel underneath had a small dent that createdva tiny leak. I'd check the intake gaskets tho, try putting a piece of 1/4" hose under the intake, on a cold engine, and hook up a propane torch and see if the idle fluctuates
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Launching!

I'm going to check my intake this weekend. It has been a lot colder here lately and I've noticed something new on this issue. When I first start it up in the morning (garage but still very cold) it does not whistle. But as it idles warming up you can hear the whistle slowly build until it gets to what I'm used to hearing. It doesn't have to get very warm, only maybe 100 deg engine temp before it starts. But this is the first time it has done that. Does the fact that extreme cold impacts the sound mean anything?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

I can't watch the video because I'm on the phone right now but I had a loud whistle a while back and it was the egr tube connecting to the intake. It had developed a hole on the bottom of it, you could look at it all you wanted and couldn't see it but when you felt the bottom of it you could feel the hole in it. Just throwin that out there
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

I meant pcv not egr, took too much cough syrup this morning. The car still ran like a champ while it was leaking too
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by twelver12
I meant pcv not egr, took too much cough syrup this morning. The car still ran like a champ while it was leaking too
I've wiggled hoses while it's whistling and wasn't able to change the pitch but I'll try that again as well as checking the torque on the intake.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

+1 on the pcv valve/hose. I've seen that happen on a few of my own cars and on friends. Sometimes you cant seem to locate it unless you remove the hose and inspect it. My buddys ranger was makin a whistling sound and ran like **** at idle but good otherwise and thats what it was. I couldn't see it at first because the area with the hole was sitting on the intake manifold. It wasn't till I actually removed it that I found it. It was a pretty good sized hole from rubbing on the manifold.