Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DropOuts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DropOuts...

Wondering what the thoughts are about LS2 vs LS3 dropouts for use in a early camaro. Specifically I have two options. An ls2 out of a 05/06 GTO for 6-7 K of a LS3 out of an 010 Camaro for 7-9 K

Both options include a T56.. but I want to understand if i should save the 2k I would save by going with the LS2 ..Or am I giving up something major?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS3's have a even larger cyl bore which is a huge advantage when it comes to making power. The cyl options open up even more and for the most part, if you can spend the extra $$$ go LS3. As its a VERY good foundation for making power.

LS2's are great as well and some will debate that the diff in price could = a power adder or even heads and cam.

What your giving up is potential. Since your looking for a complete motor and sounds like your not wanting to get into major engine building, I would do a LS3, and get the appropriate items for the Fbody swap. IF you wanted more cubic inches and wanted to port the heads up front, then do the LS2.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
LS3's have a even larger cyl bore which is a huge advantage when it comes to making power. The cyl options open up even more and for the most part, if you can spend the extra $$$ go LS3. As its a VERY good foundation for making power.

LS2's are great as well and some will debate that the diff in price could = a power adder or even heads and cam.

What your giving up is potential. Since your looking for a complete motor and sounds like your not wanting to get into major engine building, I would do a LS3, and get the appropriate items for the Fbody swap. IF you wanted more cubic inches and wanted to port the heads up front, then do the LS2.
Thanks for the insight! I also heard the LS3 heads were much better.....
I was considering an ls2 with a superchanrger and use the $$ saved towards the charger...
Old 11-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xlexustech
Thanks for the insight! I also heard the LS3 heads were much better.....
I was considering an ls2 with a superchanrger and use the $$ saved towards the charger...
The cyl heads on a LS2 is based on LS6 (i.e. LS1 based tech) which is a factory improved cyl head. All GEN III SBC stuff, GEN IV is a enough of a difference that the cyl are greatly improved.

Either way you need all the stuff to run the motor so at that point, look at the budget and plan accordingly.