New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Engine won't crank

Old 06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Engine won't crank

Yesterday i jump in the car and it would not crank. There were no dash lights on at all. The headlights came on full power. The gauges were sweeping and I pulled the key out and the gauges were still sweeping. There was a ticking coming from under the dash. I know my old camaro I had to bypass the VATS system because the security light came on. I didn't think it would be the starter seeing how the gauges are doing strange things. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. BTW it is a 1999 z28.

Things I have done:
Cleaned the cables
Cleaned the key
Checked the battery(just bought it a couple of months ago)
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Well everything that I am reading is leaning toward the battery. Guess I am going to have to go get it tested. I kind of ruled that out seeing how it is only a couple of months old.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

typically when the gauge's sweep is the battery yes. Were the headlights definitely full power or just dim?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sweeping doesnt necessarily mean battery. It means low power in the battery. Which can be caused by a bad battery OR a bad alt.

If the battery is new, its probably the alt. If the alt is not charging the battery correctly it will do the same thing.

It doesnt sound like VATS to me because the "Security" light would be on AND you would get locked out for several minutes before you could try to start again.

If you can get the car jumped it will be easy to test. While the car is running check the 'battery gauge', if its not staying in the middle and its falling to the low side, its the alt. Sometimes it will be fine on startup and not drop down till it gets warm. Just be ready if it fails completely the car will have to be jumped and wont run long.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with ^ probably battery or alt. jump it or put a new battery and keep checking the gauge. if it keeps going down and won't stay at a steady voltage then its your alternator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!! Engine won't crank